Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Been told to stop Evorel Conti cold turkey. Upset  (Read 2737 times)

Fedupofallthis

Been told to stop Evorel Conti cold turkey. Upset
« on: July 07, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »

Hello all. Thank you for allowing me to join the forum.

I have a question. I used to use Evorel Conti but it was stopped about 18 months ago as I was having "periods"; sometimes really heavy, I had a scan at that time and it showed a lot of adenomyosis. The endometrial thickness was <4mm three months after stopping the patch.

Fast forward to December, and I go back on it on the advice of the rheumatologist to try to control joint pain and a few other things such as hot flushes etc. I have seven happy months and the periods come back one month after starting the HRT. They are periods too, they're monthly, not irregular and not variable in amount. I get referred to the gynaecologist. Gynaecologist has told GP to stop the Evorel for three months and he'll do a scan then. But my question is that a) is it not normal to have this problem (the periods are actually starting to get lighter each month, the one just finished was really light and needed one tampon and a couple of liners) and I'm seven months in.
b)Without this patch my fibromyalgia and arthritis are 10x worse, I get awful hot flushes and sweats and am generally miserable and in a lot of pain.
c) I don't see why the HRT has been stopped, we have been through all this before. Every time I try Conti stuff I get periods again. I am 58 and in the gap between coming off it last time and starting this time, I had not a trace of bleeding.

I have no clue as to when my periods actually stopped naturally because as I say, Conti seems to create regular menses!!

I'm really upset about this decision, I have a lot of awful other things going on in my life at the moment and it is going to be a hard one to take. I seriously don't know how I am going to cope with this cold turkey method, and I know from before it will increase my pain and fibro symptoms.

Help!!!

dazned

Re: Been told to stop Evorel Conti cold turkey. Upset
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

Why not try a sequential hrt,a few women have bleeds on the conti ones. At least that way you should know when they will come,the lining should stay thin,plus you still will get the benefits of the estrogens.

Fedupofallthis

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »

They won't let me. It was suggested by one GP but since the gynae said this I have to STOP and cope for three months. I don't think they understand AT ALL

dazned

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »

Sorry I just read it as stopped conti hrt  :-\

Fedupofallthis

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »

Hey no, sorry I hope I didn't come across as rude. The capitals were directed at the doctors not you. Apologies.
I just don't know why they cannot adapt their thinking.

Fedupofallthis

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »

And your sequi comment is the logical solution really, isn't it? But it's not going to happen :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »

I would ring the Rheumatoligist!  Maybe he could speak with your GP - you need a good reason why the GP won't prescribe what has suited you.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 04:42:29 PM »

Hi Fedupofallthis

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about this. If your bleeding is only on HRT and you have been checked out off HRT and your lining is OK then I can't see why you have to stop. I presume the gyane is going to check you again after 3 months? If the periods are starting to get lighter - then this is to be expected on a conti HRT - ie there can be bleeding for around the first 6 months and then it should gradually stop. However I can see the gynae is being thorough because your bleeding went on for longer than this.  Is it possible for them to scan you now - short notice quick appt - and then if all OK re-start on a cyclical HRT?

The other alternative is, after you have been checked out, you could have a Mirena coil and then add in oestrogen as patch in the same dose - that way your bleeding may be better controlled - although some initial bleeding is expected with this method too.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »

Hi Fedupofallthis - welcome from me too.

I wonder what treatment or advice you have been given re the adenomyosis? One of the  main symptoms of this is heavy bleeding and I believe that oestrogen stimulates it so maybe this is why you are bleeding while on HRT? Sorry if you've already explored this idea loads already!

Taz x  :welcomemm: