Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: one month HRT - bladder urgency - could it be related?  (Read 4174 times)

sap22

one month HRT - bladder urgency - could it be related?
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

I have now been on HRT for one month. Vagifem (2 week loading dose) now 5 per week. 50mcg Estradot patch and Utrogestan 100 mg daily as a continuous HRT.  I previously had bladder problems for months with a cycle of different symptoms.  I am now getting some symptoms I got a while ago, so either I am having a bladder flare of the previously dormant infection or the HRT has made my bladder more active. Last few days I have had urgency and discomfort before urination (and some discomfort after).  I really hope it's not the HRT as my vaginal atrophy symptoms of burning, soreness, tenderness, ****ling etc have improved and generally I have had better days which is a relief. However, now it's depressing as my bladder seems worse than when I started.
I just wondered if anyone has found a similar problem and if they found any way around it eg medication, supplements as I want to try to persevere with the HRT and don't really want a bleed as when I did have one in the past it was very uncomfortable, ****ly and hot.  Thanks in advance xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: one month HRT - bladder urgency - could it be related?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »

The day after I use Ovestin my bladder is irritated but the day after it settles. 

How much gap do you have between each dose? [5 per week]. 

sap22

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »

Hi - I do one per night for three nights, then have a break of one night, then do another two nights, then have a break of two nights.  So two nights break (when I sometimes do a hyalofemme vaginal application to rehydrate vagina).  I take supplements for my long-term bladder problem which is allicin (garlic, d-mannose, probiotics, oil of oregano capsules).

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »

Would it be an idea to stop that and the hyaloremme for three months and see if the Vagifem improves the situation?  It may be that there is 'too much going on' down there ;-)

'bladder' problems - how has your GP helped with this, do you have to attend Hospital for any 'procedures'?

sap22

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:55:49 PM »

I think because the VA was so bad I needed all of it.  Doctor not much help - had cystoscopy - nothing found.... will see how it goes..thanks for your input. Interesting that you get bladder irritatation after too . x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »

Why did you use Vagifem Stellajane?

Sap - if you have had a cystocopy that showed nowt of note then maybe there are too many products going in 'down there'?  If the supplement wasn't working enough that you require Vagifem I would be inclined to drop everything else to see if it is easing symptoms, otherwise I would ask my GP for something else.  The best product I was given were suppositories which were withdrawn  >:(, so Ovestin1mg is the next choice.

It's the Trial and Error that is so tiring  :sigh:

saffy123

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »

Hi, in my experience the progesterone I was using continuously in a trial on BCP made my bladder a lot worse (bladder frequency is my worse peri symptom...so I truly understand how you feel). I would suggest you would be better using the least amount needed - unfortunately that does mean going back to monthly/bi monthly bleeds).
Sorry not to be more helpful xx

sap22

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »

Progesterone is a natural diuretic so it could be that taking it every day is making you need to pee more.

I'm one of the few women who don't get on with Vagifem at all!  It really irritates my bladder (the fillers used in the tablet I imagine). However, I've never had VA so can appreciate you'd be in favour of staying on it if you feel it has worked its magic in that respect.

Hi Stella, when you say it irritates your bladder - do you mean you get urgency etc...?  Thanks for your reply anyway. x

sap22

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 04:28:06 PM »

Hi, in my experience the progesterone I was using continuously in a trial on BCP made my bladder a lot worse (bladder frequency is my worse peri symptom...so I truly understand how you feel). I would suggest you would be better using the least amount needed - unfortunately that does mean going back to monthly/bi monthly bleeds).

Hi Sally, it is helpful, as it's interesting to hear how other progesterone affected others. What is BCP?  Will see if it improves, but as you say it may need to be reduced if it continues for much longer...xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »

Birth Control Pill?

sap22

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:37:36 PM »

[/quote

Hi Saffy, when you changed down to less progesterone, did your bladder return to normal? Thanks x

sap22

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »

Birth Control Pill?

I'm due to go back to see Tina Peers in three months, but if it doesn't get better I will have to contact her before....it's all been such a trial and I got really low today, having got over the worst vaginal inflammation and then to get back the old bladder symptoms, I sometimes feel crushed, but it helps on this forum to get people's ideas.  I am wondering as you said earlier that there might be too much going on if I did 2 pessaries on 2-3 nights, rather than over 5... just a thought!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »

:-\ - I wonder if with the supplements as well as prescribed medication your bladder may be over-stimulated = return of niggling symptoms.  Some medications don't sit well with supplements, it may be worth while speaking to a Pharmacist in the week to ask advice. [i.e. St Johns Wort shouldn't be taken with prescribed anti-depressants].  Also some patients have sensitivity to fillers/coatings of some meds., it's really a mine field sometimes  ::)

If you did the 2 week 'load' of Vagifem I think that the product is suggested as every 3rd or 4th night and then the 5th or 6th, 1 pessary ……… perhaps do a search for the product? to see what other ladies do?

I have a different product which is 2 week 'load' and then I insert every 4th and 5 or 6th night [if I remember], I have to tick off on the calendar when I do!

R U Drinking enough?  My bladder gets irritated if I forget to drink plenty.

sap22

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »

:-\ - I wonder if with the supplements as well as prescribed medication your bladder may be over-stimulated = return of niggling symptoms.  Some medications don't sit well with supplements, it may be worth while speaking to a Pharmacist in the week to ask advice. [i.e. St Johns Wort shouldn't be taken with prescribed anti-depressants].  Also some patients have sensitivity to fillers/coatings of some meds., it's really a mine field sometimes  ::)

If you did the 2 week 'load' of Vagifem I think that the product is suggested as every 3rd or 4th night and then the 5th or 6th, 1 pessary ……… perhaps do a search for the product? to see what other ladies do?

I have a different product which is 2 week 'load' and then I insert every 4th and 5 or 6th night [if I remember], I have to tick off on the calendar when I do!

R U Drinking enough?  My bladder gets irritated if I forget to drink plenty.

Thanks for these ideas.... I could try to stop the supplements and see what happens.  But as I mentioned these are D-mannose, garlic, probiotics and oil of organo and are meant to prevent bladder infection taking hold again. Also might be worth taking stuff without capsules ie in liquid form in case the capsule cases make a difference. I noticed that the Utrogestan has soya bean oil...don't know if that makes a difference. I will have a look into taking the vagifem differently maybe. Do you insert only 3 pessaries per week?  I have up to 5 to insert... I do drink plenty - warm water mainly ...xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »

My insert are not pessaries but a small measured amount via an applicator.  My symptoms are less fortunately.
Pages: [1] 2