Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Question re:difference in dosage between Sandrena gel and Evorel Conti  (Read 4616 times)

Zoo1

Hello Everyone,

I have previously used an Evorel Conti patch which releases 50micrograms of Estradiol over 24 hours. I have now changed to Sandrena gel which is providing 1milligram of Estradiol per day. This is a much higher daily dose than the EC patch is providing.

Can someone explain why there is such a difference in dosage between the 2 preparations please as both are being absorbed transdermally.

Thanks very much!

Hurdity

Hi Zoo1

You can't compare the two in terms of dosage. The gel dose gives the actual amount of oestrogen in that blob of gel ie 1 mg - not the amount that is released. The amount of oestrogen in an Evorel patch is actually 3.2 mg so if you divide this by approx 3 ( it is on for approx 3 days) then it is the same amount per day in effect.

However the two methods absorb differently - with the gel absorbing a (small) proportion of that 1 mg through the skin once a day (if that is the amount applied), but the patch releasing the oestrogen continuously at the rate of 50 mcg per day on average. On average means that some women will absorb more than this, others less, and the same with the gel - and some women may absorb better on the gel, some on the patch! This is why - when equivalent doses are suggested they really are only approximate - so best thought of as low, medium or high and within that - trial and error will determine which dose alleviates your symptoms and makes you feel best.

How much Sandrena gel are you using - is it a whole sachet that contains the 1 mg gel? You may find that it is approximately equivalent (the medium dose of estrogel is 2 pumps which contain 1.5 mg so a little more) - but it depends on how well you absorb it and it could take a while for your body to adjust to this new method - so do give it a few weeks.

I hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Zoo1

Dear Hurdity,

thanks so much for the reply, it is really helpful.