Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: meno/depression  (Read 3163 times)

mich

meno/depression
« on: July 09, 2016, 07:54:29 PM »

Just wondered if anyone else has anything like I have. Im post meno on HRT, think it's mainly a depression thing really but it's with me more and more these days and it's draining me !!  I get real aches/pain in my calves in the muscles and in my hands and I'm so so tired with it, I have it most days at the moment.. I'm on meds for depression and I think it's that as I've had similar in the past and it gets so severe that I can't walk. I'm so tired and it's very frustrating as I can't function how I want to and how I need to. I've been to the doc previously with it and more exercise was recommended. Which I have done although some days it's a real struggle. Any one had similar to this ? I would love to hear about it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: meno/depression
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:46 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off so muscle may become lax = aches and pains.  Do you need to take pain relief?

When did you last talk to your GP about the dose of AD you take?

mich

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »

I am taking pain relief now as it's getting tough ! AD meds last checked when I was okay around a month ago.. Taking just 20mg citalopram. I'm thinking its depression related as I've been feeling a bit 'techy' with people these last few days. 😁

mich

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »

Oh no I haven't had Vit D checked. Didn't know that. Thank you. I am taking Vit d but not sure if I'm taking enough or too much in fact  :o. !! Better look it up. I take that with magnesium as I'm a migraine sufferer too. It's supposed to help. Not sure if it has helped as I scared to stop taking them in case it get migraine. !! Sound like a right junkie don't I !! Thank you for that. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »

Do you need to up your AD dosage for a short while?

orchid

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:36:02 AM »

Hi all, just to say some of you will know me from posts over the years. To cut a long story short I have been diagnosed with Haemochromotosis or iron overload. Been unwell for years and recently heard this condition makes menopause a double whammy. Depression, fatigue, what I thought was IBS, digestive problems, biliary colic and ectopic beats. This condition is only picked up on a ferritin blood test, so those heading to the dr, get them to CHECK FERRITIN! If one other person can be saved from the misery I've experienced it will be worthwhile. Normal levels are 50-100. Mine is 950. I'm waiting to see the consultant and have venesection. This is now for life, so pleased they found it! Of course I know many of these symptoms are caused by menopause, but this condition is so underdiagnosed what is the harm in getting checked out!

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:57:05 AM »

Thanks orchid. I'm so sorry you have had to wait all this time for a diagnosis. So often it seems that the symptoms of this condition are overlooked as they can be quite vague as I understand it. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the venesection.

Taz x  :)

orchid

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »

Thank you Taz! We plod on don't we. Hugs x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »

I know I posted this before but you might find it useful sparkle http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Haemochromatosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »

Just wondered if anyone else has anything like I have. Im post meno on HRT, think it's mainly a depression thing really but it's with me more and more these days and it's draining me !!  I get real aches/pain in my calves in the muscles and in my hands and I'm so so tired with it, I have it most days at the moment.. I'm on meds for depression and I think it's that as I've had similar in the past and it gets so severe that I can't walk. I'm so tired and it's very frustrating as I can't function how I want to and how I need to. I've been to the doc previously with it and more exercise was recommended. Which I have done although some days it's a real struggle. Any one had similar to this ? I would love to hear about it.

Have you had your thyroid checked at all? I was born with hypothyroidism but only started to get aching calves and feet just as I went into peri menopause. I linked it with menopause but have recently found that it is also a sign of low thyroid. The two are closely related.  I requested a endocrinology appointment from my GP which has now come through (1st August). I have been free of periods for 2.5 years now. I have never taken HRT.

orchid

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 05:49:56 PM »

Sparkle...no full blood count won't show it and if your iron level is ok they would tend not to do ferritin. However if it was low ?anaemia, then they would!
I have had my thyroid checked and that was ok, but on saying that iron overload affects all organs.