Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Ladies please can you reassure me?  (Read 2451 times)

Dediva Ann

Ladies please can you reassure me?
« on: July 10, 2016, 04:50:58 PM »

Hi everyone It's been a while since I posted. Am at my wit's end today and really hoping some of you might be able to help.  I have just started my third month of Femoston (previously on Elleste Duet but only for a month) though this may not be HRT related at all. I am dealing with some ridiculous stress and am full of boils and bumps on face, back, armpits, breasts, groin etc. Ugh! Nurse gave me metronizadole gel for the boils (trying to avoid oral antibiotics) which has helped a bit. At nearly 49 i have never had painful breasts before but know that can come with the HRT. My period is due any moment now in case that's relevant. Earlier this week I found an unusual lump (more like a bump) on my left areole and promptly saw the nurse. She didn't think it was anything to worry about. It has continued to hurt but in some ways that reassures me as I understand things that are more sinister tend not to hurt. She also asked if that nipple was usually inverted and I said that it was inclined to be. However it does usually make an appearance but now (since I saw the nurse) it is almost completely stuck in (even in a cold swimming pool today) and then it did come out it had some sort of discharge (something I have never had in my life before - never had kids btw.) The whole nipple and area around it is sore and tender and my mind is leaping to worst case scenarios but then I try and tell myself it is more likely to be part of what is going on in my entire body, such as a generalised infection.  I am hoping I can get seen at the doctor's tomorrow but my anxiety is escalating and I have absolutely no-one to talk to. I've even though of calling 111 or going to A&E which I know would be a completely inappropriate use of their service - but I am so worried!  Of course none of you can say for sure but if any of you have any experience of something similar or are medically minded please tell me what you think. I have a GP appt at 5pm tomorrow about something else but am sure I can mention this, but don't know how to manage this worry in the meantime. Thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ladies please can you reassure me?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »

There's a lot going on! and all of it can be worrying.

Could it be grime in the nipple area which caused an infection, hence the 'discharge'.  You are probably rubbing the nipple to in order to see if it's still sore  ::).

I think there are threads about boils on here somewhere ………

24 hours won't make any difference even if it turns out to be what you fear ;-). 
    -  I had breast disease and survived.

You could ring your out of hours GP if you are worried for advice but going to A&E will mean a long wait probably  ::) and may not achieve much.

Keep the GP appt. at 5.00 and tell the GP that you are there for your breast worry rather than what you have booked in for, then make another appt. if necessary. Your GP may well be OK about discussing all problems/symptoms, mine usually is.  Saves time for both parties if he/she is able to give an extra few minutes to reassure the patient!

Have a  :bighug:

Dediva Ann

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply CLKD.  Means a lot that you did.  I am so worried.  It's really hurting like a constant pinching feeling in nipple, breast, side and armpit.  Our out of ours GP service is useless.  At best after many hours waiting I know they can only advise me to see my own GP.  Just I suffer from terrible depression and anxiety so the waiting is agonising.

Thank you for sharing your story.  Good to hear you are a survivor X

I'll update once I've seen GP tomorrow. 18 hours to go!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »

Hi Dediva Ann - could it be something called Duct Ectasia? Scroll down to that here http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nipple-discharge/Pages/Introduction.aspx.  It does sound very much like it so try not to worry.

Taz x  :hug:

Dediva Ann

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 12:13:41 AM »

Thanks so much Taz. That's the best thing I have read all day (have been too scared to google!) it really does sound it could be that and there's a chance I can maybe sleep now!  THANK YOU x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »

I'm glad it was useful. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :)