Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Les Mis  (Read 5186 times)

dulciana

Les Mis
« on: July 11, 2016, 07:16:06 AM »

Did anyone watch Les Miserables (starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway) on Channel 4 last night?  What a treat.  Superb acting and singing.  Saw a stage production of this a few years ago - not a patch on last night's film.  I thought it was amazingly good.  Normally, I would have got stressed out by watching the TV screen for one hour, let alone three. None of that with this.  I was just carried along in the events and emotions of it all and was wiping the tears away from my eyes in the closing scenes.     :'(

babyjane

Re: Les Mis
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »

No because we have the DVD without adverts, love it  :)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »

Hi Dulciana

I saw Les Mis at the Palace theatre just off Shaftesbury Ave in 1985, it hadn't long opened and as I remember didn't receive glowing reviews. However, I thought it was utterly magnificent and the memory of that night has stayed with me. I read the book when very young, loved that too, and was delighted that a film was being made but anxious that it would be too Hollywood glitz. I saw it at an IMAX cinema and wasn't disappointed. I loved it, though Hugh Jackman's and Russell Crowe's singing made me wince a couple of times!

I do think though that it is a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. My daughter had just finished the book and was eager to see it but the singing dialogue left her cold!

There's nothing like a good musical to lift your spirits (echoes of the Deadwood Stage being sung as she tackles the hoovering!!).

dulciana

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »

I loved it, though Hugh Jackman's and Russell Crowe's singing made me wince a couple of times!.....My daughter had just finished the book and was eager to see it but the singing dialogue left her cold!

Hi Elizabethrose - Yes, there were a couple of times where they did the same to me! However, on the whole I loved all the singing, especially the tenor (the one who marries Jean Valjean's daughter) who I thought had a glorious voice, and Cosette's mother as she sang "I Dreamed A Dream" which was just so incredibly dramatic!  And in fact, I loved the operatic delivery of the whole thing, but I can appreciate that not everyone would like this! 

Evelyn63

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 01:02:49 PM »

Watched the cinema version and recorded last nights to watch later.  Loved it, found it very emotional.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »

It's my 'go to' video, that or West Side Story

I heard the original cast recording in the 1980s and was hooked - our local School did a Production about 10 years ago, very effective.

We have the DVD somewhere so didn't watch last night …….

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:21:12 AM »

I saw it when it was on TV about a couple of years a ago- loved it!