Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Books - Psychology - WWII  (Read 4905 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Books - Psychology - WWII
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »

I don't want to hijack the thread about Therapy Support ………   started by Babyjane and I don't want to add this to other book threads - have you seen how many!  ::)

I picked up "My Father's Keeper" today.  Written by Stephan Lebert it's about the children of the Nazi Leaders.

"We know a great deal nowadays about family psychology: what kind of effect it has on a child when its parents divorce, how the fundamental nature of trust is destroyed for good if a child is not properly loved in the first three years, how the unfulfilled wishes of father and mother impose themselves imperceptibly but no less heavily on the children, how the unhappy childhood of one parent is carried over into the next generation.  Generally speaking, the understanding of how deep is the stamp of the parent-child relationship is common knowledge in a modern, enlightened world" ………

This really struck a chord!

It's a bit of a wade but a page turner.  His father interviewed as many children of the Third Rhiech [sp - I'll check later] as possible and now the son is searching out to re-interview the same children ……….

Children of Hess, Himmler, Frank, Goring and Bormann
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:31:05 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Books - Psychology - WWII
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:36:37 PM »

Also - the surname 'Lebert' has Jewish history, however, Stephan's father was a Member of the Hitler Youth

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:41:53 AM »

Sounds interesting. It would also be interesting if the children of the children were interviewed too.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »

Yes.  It's a bit hard going, the way it's printed, but of interest to me.  It's not a large book.  I often wonder how children feel about parents who have been involved in any awful situations …….. Fred West's son had 3 children, each were under the eye of Social Services but he was determined not to repeat history.  The remaining children were very aware that they would require help to move forwards and also the privacy opportunities to forge ahead.