Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I became a pensioner today - EEEK!!  (Read 7526 times)

Hurdity

I became a pensioner today - EEEK!!
« on: July 06, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »

Well - the title say it all! Today I qualify for my state pension at the grand old age of 63 and a couple of months....I am also in the first group of women to qualify for and receive the new state pension.  All born between that first critical month after the new state pension began reach pension age today.

I realise quite a few of you unfortunately have to wait until you are 66 - so I guess I was one of the lucky ones as my date was only put back a couple of months at the second increase in the pension age.

So - I'm officially an OAP!!!! However I don't feel that O though. Looking forward to receiving my first payment in a couple of weeks. I'm not retiring though so still work part-time (self-employed) because the extra money is helpful. Bus Pass here we come...... ( already have free prescriptions - HRT - hooray, and Senior Railcard both available from 60). :)

Just wanted to mark the occasion - as I certainly would not put it up on Facebook!!!

Anyone else today?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I became a pensioner today - EEEK!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:37:44 PM »

:congrats:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 03:02:24 PM »

Lucky you and congratulations!! I have to wait until I'm 65 and 3 months which is another three years away almost!! Enjoy your hard earned pension!!

Taz x

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:43:22 PM »

Congratulations, Hurdity! Def a new phase of life, let it be fruitful and enjoyable!
Milamam

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »

Congratulations Hurdity!
Lucky you......I have to wait until 66...turned 60 last December. It's really unfair but hey ho, no point dwelling on it.
Free prescriptions are a bonus aat least!
Enjoy your money...you've earned it
PN x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 05:09:25 PM »

Hello Hurdity.

Well done you for reaching another milestone and still in good nick I'm sure!

It is something to be proud of but probably wouldn't fit into the world of Facebook ( or Fatboast) as I like to call it lol.

Take care and enjoy your freebies.

K.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »

Lucky duck! Only just turned 60 & I have to wait another 6 years. Enjoy!

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 06:42:11 PM »

Congratulations!  You can get 20% off on 'Oldie Tuesday' at our local garden centre now!   ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 07:36:57 PM »

Well - the title say it all! Today I qualify for my state pension at the grand old age of 63 and a couple of months....I am also in the first group of women to qualify for and receive the new state pension.  All born between that first critical month after the new state pension began reach pension age today.

I realise quite a few of you unfortunately have to wait until you are 66 - so I guess I was one of the lucky ones as my date was only put back a couple of months at the second increase in the pension age.

So - I'm officially an OAP!!!! However I don't feel that O though. Looking forward to receiving my first payment in a couple of weeks. I'm not retiring though so still work part-time (self-employed) because the extra money is helpful. Bus Pass here we come...... ( already have free prescriptions - HRT - hooray, and Senior Railcard both available from 60). :)

Just wanted to mark the occasion - as I certainly would not put it up on Facebook!!!

Anyone else today?

Hurdity x

Congratulations Hurdity. IF you are getting your pension today then you are the same age as my friend who is just 6 months older than me.  I have to wait another TWO YEARS and that's just not right!  THere is no sense or logic to how they work this out. IF they said to me you are 6 months younger than your friend so you'll get your pension 6 months later that would be fine and fair but not 2 years. 

don't forget you also get your winter fuel allowance.  :)

However, today is your day so enjoy it. Xx

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »

Thanks so much everyone - I agree Pennyfarthing it's not fair so I especially appreciate your good wishes! As I said I realise I have been lucky by just scraping in and only having to wait two extra months than I would have done under the original phased older pension age.

My husband already gets the fuel allowance so they just divide by two and give us each half!

Oldie Tuesday - I hadn't thought of other pensioner benefits! No doubt I will have to carry around proof or something to get all my reduced food and stuff!

I agree Stellajane retirement can be long as we live much longer and those in their 80's and 90's are a different generation - my mother is late 80's for example.

And - I'm not retired yet! Mainly because the work I do is creative and enjoyable so a bit like a paid hobby really and will stop me twiddling my thumbs - not that I would do that!!

Hurdity :) x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »

Bus Pass applied for?
Free Prescriptions after the age of 60.
Free eye and hearing tests ……..

Evelyn63

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 08:40:52 PM »

Congratulations Hurdity, You've earned this , so enjoy every second .  I was also very lucky and got mine last year, I do feel for women who have to wait until they are 66, its really so unfair.   Like Stella Jane , we found it a bi todd when we joined the NT, I remember my husband asking did they do discount for over 60"s, the women laughed and said, if that was the case, everyone would be getting discount as they are all over 60 ! :)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 09:12:08 PM »

Bus Pass applied for?
Free Prescriptions after the age of 60.
Free eye and hearing tests ……..

Quid or so off at cinema  ;)
Pensioners days at hairdressers and beauty salons :-*

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 09:16:30 PM »

Oh as well as at various days out, i.e. National Trust ……..

I think that B&Q Pensioners' day is on a Wednesday?

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 10:03:47 PM »

Congratulations !
I'm 50 In a few months, I wonder if they'll change the age anymore ? 51 would be nice hehe

Do you get reduced tv licence too ?

I remember my nan in sheltered accommodation paying something crazy like 5p a year but I can't remember whether my parents did or not

Annie x
Pages: [1] 2