Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Weight gain  (Read 2012 times)

Mandy101

Weight gain
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask a question about weight gain. I'm 52 have been getting peri menopausal symptoms since March. I've somehow managed to put on half a stone since then!! Help, is this normal? I can't seem to budge it, when normally I could 😟 No real changes in diet either. Hot flushes coming and going but seem to be dying down a little.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Mandy

dazned

Re: Weight gain
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

It seems to be the norm  ::)

Unfortunately as we get to this sort of age you need to eat less and keep as active as possible,walks,swim etc.
Also as the hormones wane our body shape alters too ! Great isn't it, NOT !  ;)

zelda

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »

Weight gain seems to be highly individual. Some people put on weight when taking HRT, some that don't take HRT put on weight and some don't put on weight whether they do either.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »

Have you weighed or is a visual weight gain, i.e. although I haven't added actual weight my belly sagged last year - due to oestrogen levels dropping so muscles became lax  ::).

Browse round, join in , make notes  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 07:19:17 PM »

Hi Mandy101

:welcomemm:

As dazned says what happens - your metabolism slows at menopause and beyond so even if you change nothing yourself - there is a tendency for many women to gain weight and change shape.

There is some information here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

I eat far less than I used to and exercise a  great deal more - and I am on HRT and have managed to lose weight recently. You will need to do the same to lose it - ie eat less and exercise more - specifically build muscle which burns more calories at rest than fat. Also try reducing sugars and carbs from your diet, as well as excess fat and refined foods and eating more protein and fruit and veg - you should notice the difference!

What are your periods doing?

Hurdity x

Mandy101

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 09:41:57 PM »

Thank you for all your replies. I guess eat less and move more is the way forward. No periods since March and this is when all the weight seems to be piling on 😩 I've not gone down the HRT route as have a very strong breast cancer family history. I guess it's another chapter to contend with in life 😁