Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sertraline  (Read 3634 times)

carolann

Sertraline
« on: July 05, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »

Hi today my doctor prescribed Sertraline for my hot flushes have been struggling with them for seven years now plus other symptoms but as my sister had breast cancer ten years ago have been reluctant  to try hrt but have been reading about the side effects of Sertraline and have been put off taking them and feedback or advice would be really appreciated  thanks xxx

Justjules

Re: Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »

Hi Carolann, I've no experience of HRT but loads of ladies on here can offer good up to date advice about risks etc, which aren't as bad as they used to be made out to be but I have taken Sertraline and to be honest, would never take it for hot flushes! Obviously, I'm not medically qualified, your GP is, but to give somebody them for mainly hot flushes seems odd. Not to put you off, as everybody is different, I couldn't tolerate them but plenty of people swear by them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »

I thought that this is an anti-depressant/anxiety medication?  If you use the search button you will see how other ladies get on with it. 

Even though your sister has had breast cancer, was it oestrogen dominant?  One needs to consider quality of life too, so have a browse round, make notes. 

When was your last period, what age are you - for ladies with an early menopause they need oestrogen to protect bones and heart until 50+ years old. 

breeze

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »

Didn't suit me at all, but you never know until you try.

Everyone is different.

I am beginning to think that they are prescribed for hot flushes as there is a perceived cross over between hormonal sweats and anxiety sweats.  Just my idea so probably totally wrong  ::)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:26:24 PM by breeze »

carolann

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »

Thanks everybody yes my sisters breast cancer was oestrogen dominant she said her consultant at the time said as it was not genetic her daughters and myself were at no greater risk than anybody else but don't known if this is correct I really don't think I will take the Sertraline xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »

Why did you get a script for this - did your GP not discuss general HRT?

Think about quality of life?  GPs have been given recent Guidelines in how to and who should have HRT.  The Reports they were using in order not to prescribe, i.e. the risks relating to breast cancer, have been found to be badly researched.  So even though I had breast disease: the cancer was in the lump removed rather than the breast: I would insist on HRT should it be required in order to make me feel 'better'.

You could ask your GP about the specific breast disease gene blood test?  It has a long set of numbers/letters but I can't remember [meno brain ::)].

Let us know how you get on.  If you can cope without, that's good.  But if you ask B4 you require oestrogen support etc., you will be informed and less likely to panic  ;)

carolann

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »

Thanks for your reply i am going to ask my doctor for hrt rather than the Sertraline you are right it is about quality of life xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »

Have a browse round here.  Make notes.

Jot down your symptoms and talk to your GP about what is likely to help right now.  You may need to adjust what you take in order to feel better.  Keeping a mood/diet diary can help.

Let us know!

kew

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:18:12 AM »

I take Sertraline for anxiety. The first week was tough as I felt nauseous every day, but that was about it for side effects. Each week has got better and anxiety is pretty much under control. Have been on it for about two months now and wouldn't go back to the way I was. Usually they prescribe for 6 months, so will be reviewed at the end of the year.

Can't comment on its effect for flushes as I'm also on hrt (Evorel Conti patches) which has that side of things under control.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »

Kew - that's good?

Dee46

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:06:26 PM »

I was put on sertraline last October & if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have taken them, put on citalopram in Dec & still suffering bad anxiety now although doctor thinks I am not in peri.. I have never had anxiety on my life until now so if I was you I would not take them