Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Lack of support from GPs and Clinicians  (Read 1189 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Lack of support from GPs and Clinicians
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »

Would it be an idea if ladies who are given no information regarding HRT prior to hysterectomy for them to send a letter to Dr Currie and Professor Studd so that the medical profession can get an idea as to how badly served patients are in the UK? 

As well as writing letters to the above regarding the lack of consideration that some GPs give regarding symptoms which are likely to be menopausal but are often dismissed as fanciful?

Hurdity

Re: Lack of support from GPs and Clinicians
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »

Dr Currie is current Chair of the British Menopause Society and their aims following the NICE Guideline is to try to tackle just the issue you describe - ie to improve education through the medical professions by a variety of means. As manager of this site and also of this forum then I expect she is able to read what's going on from time to time - when she has the time! Rather than write a letters to her then perhaps a dedicated thread where women could point out where they had been failed (and where they had been well served!) by the medical profession - perhaps with the name of the NHS Trust concerned - might help? Not sure really. I think surely we each have a responsibility as women, at grass roots levels - to challenge decisions based on up to date information, where we can and maybe write our own letters to the appropriate body locally?

Not sure why one would write to Prof Studd - he is a private gynaecologist and has not practised on NHS for some years as far as I gather - however eminent he is! I mean he charges very high prices for women who are not well served on NHS and have money to spare, so actually it's better that we try to improve the NHS surely, so that all women can benefit, not just the privileged few?

Perhaps there is a need for an MM organised survey at some point on this issue? Dr Currie may well have other surveys up her sleeve?! There have been others done regularly on a variety of menopausal issues.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Lack of support from GPs and Clinicians
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 10:48:22 PM »

:thankyou:

Doesn't matter whether a clinician works for the NHS or Private sector, they all get together at various 'meets'  ::) and by treating patients privately, Prof Studd will surely become aware as to why ladies are attending his Clinics rather than keeping with the GPs or local Gynaes.. 

Changes should come from within via patient information as to what ladies require.  I expect that most are un-aware of what they might need int he way of treatment regimes and at a time when they are vulnerable and probably quite un-well, they shouldn't have to fight to get their bodies back into some kind of normality.