Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Feeling rough -Changed from Femoston Conti to Estrodot/utrogestan  (Read 1606 times)

Rhiner

Hi All,

I have been on Femoston Conti 1/5mg since March after ovary removal, I am 55 and 3 yrs post period. After the removal suffered severe menopausal symptoms, faintness, half here feeling, jelly legs, insomnia, depression etc. After a month felt OK again, then after 2 months developed headaches and was waking at 1am, poss a sign of two much oestrogen? I halved the dose but this was too little, started to feel jelly legged etc again.

Last week Gynae put me on Estrodot 50ug/Utrogestan 100mg daily, as the patches can be cut easily to reduce dose if needed and less hormone fluctuation. Started on Monday and have felt worse as the week as gone along. Feeling faint, headache, jelly legs, disrupted sleep and feeling very low.  I cut approx 20% off my 2nd patch on Thursday, as I was developing headaches again,  but still feel bad. Having to miss my sons birthday today!

I must take HRT due to the severe symptoms post op, any help/advice much appreciated.
Rhiner

Dancinggirl

Re: Feeling rough -Changed from Femoston Conti to Estrodot/utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »

Hi Rhiner and welcome to MM
Getting the right type and dosage of HRT is really tricky.  I'm afraid it is trial and error.  The headaches may not be too much oestrogen and by reducing the oestrogen your body is now feeling the withdrawal - the 50mg patch is probably a good dose for you.
I have tried Utrogestan on a continuous basis and feeling fatigued, shaky etc, are common side effects of Urogestan and indeed most progesterones.
I suspect your headaches may be more to do with the progesterone generally.  Many of us choose to use HRT on a sequential basis to reduce the side effects of the progesterone - this does mean putting up with a monthly bleed but even in post menopause this can be the better option. 
I would discuss the option of trying the patch with Utro as a sequential regime (this would be 200mg of Utrogestan for 12 days each month) or you could possibly try having a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen as pill, patch or gel.
You are also trying to control low mood - a common side effect of the meno - and HRT will rarely be enough.  I firmly believe that one needs to introduce a range of things to help with fatigue, low mood etc. - check that your diet isn't low in Vitamin D3, magnesium and B vitamins,  Omega oils are also essential and doing some CBT like Mindful Meditation can be really helpful. Many women do need an AD/SRRI alongside HRT to really control the meno symptoms.
Another thought; you are still recovering from surgery and this can take 6-12 months - perhaps you haven't given your body time to recover fully. DG xxx

Rhiner

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »

Thanks for the response Dancing Girl, Ive realised that I put this comment in wrong section! Ive added it to the right one now.

I think I will go back to the full patch and see if any change.  I also take Omega 3 on a daily basis. I guess that the change in dosage form can also make a difference and your body has to get used to the change from tablets to patch? Anyone any experience how long the change can take to settle?

Many thanks, Rhiner x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »

Rhiner - I've posted on your other thread :)

Hurdity x