Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT Thinking about it  (Read 2910 times)

Katty

HRT Thinking about it
« on: September 06, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »

I had an endometrial ablation around 8 years ago due to heavy bleeding. No periods since. I have had some hot flushes but mainly a feeling of being slightly warmer all the time. In the last couple of years I had a lot of problems with vaginal and vulval dryness. Was prescribed Betnovate and a general moisturiser. I ended up getting Hyalofeme online and trying that as well as Replens and other external creams such as the Sass range. I seem to be fighting a losing battle though. I am now 54. Lots of aches and pains, trouble sleeping, anxious, a little too warm all the time and hair shedding all the time. The main irritants are the vaginal dryness and the fact that I am struggling with depression. I do have reasons to be depressed in my life and never saw anti depressants as a solution as I have always had stuff to be anxious about so was worried about spending a lifetime on them. I have coped so far. This time it feels different. Almost physical rather than just mental. It leads me to believe it may be oestrogen related.  I have an appointment with the doctor and I am planning to ask if HRT might help. The information seems to suggest a topical application for vaginal issues. The thing is that won't sort the aches and pains and depression. So would I have to opt for oral HRT and would that help the vaginal symptoms or do I need both? The doctor who provided me with the Betnovate seems to not be keen on HRT. I am seeing another Dr in the practice that I have not seem before as she is busy. So I suppose I will find out if the attitude is personal to her or the policy of the clinic. 

Tinkerbell

Re: HRT Thinking about it
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »

I need both systemic HRT and Vagifem for vaginal atrophy.

You really should get started on some topical oestrogen for the dryness,  it will get worse if left.... moisturisers  will not sort it, although you can use them alongside either Vagifem/Ovestin.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »

You will need systemic HRT for the other symptoms.

Katty

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 10:51:31 PM »

Thank you. It's important to know that about the dryness. I don't want to end up with permanent, irreversible damage

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 05:30:26 AM »

I need local and systemic for vaginal / bladder issues .

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 05:31:04 AM »

and vulva .

Katty

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:22:13 AM »

One important thing I did forget to mention is that a year ago I had an abnormal smear with low grade diskaryosis. I had a colposcopy and all was normal but HPV was picked up which means I now am considered in the high risk category. I am due a follow up smear soon a year on. Would this affect the likelyhood of me being allowed HRT particularly topical HRT?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »

It doesn't say anything about that in either the Vagifem or Ovestin leaflets so I can't see why that would be a problem.
Topical oestrogen is very low dose even if you used it every day it is only equivalent to one oral HRT tablet.
Obviously mention your concerns to your doctor but I really wouldn't leave without a prescription....the dryness can lead to debilitating soreness that effects every part of your life, don't ignore it.

Katty

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »

Thanks. Yes I am finding the dryness a real problem now. Sometimes keeping me awake at night. I also find the whole area gets very hot.