Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Premique Low Dose versus Femaston Conti  (Read 3205 times)

wonkeydonkey

Premique Low Dose versus Femaston Conti
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »

HI - i havent posted for a while.  I am still having problems with my HRT.  After Premique Low Dose became unavailable I went onto the ultra low dose of Femaston which caused break through bleeding and i was still getting flushes.  I contacted you and was advised to go onto the stronger dose of Femaston Conti - 1/5  which i did.  I stayed on this for about seven months but still got bleeding once or twice monthly. Often these became heavy like a real period. When Premique Low Dose became available again I decided to go back on it as my break through bleeding did not seem so bad on that. Ive been back on Premique Low dose for about three weeks and my blood pressure (which i check myself) has shot up - 150 over 94 and i have had a swollen ankle and foot for about a week now with no injury.  Ive also got severe stomach cramps and feel that another period is coming.  I despair.  I really dont know what to do next.   :-\       

Hurdity

Re: Premique Low Dose versus Femaston Conti
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »

I can't remember how old you are, where in menopause and how long on HRT? Premique as you know is a mix of horse oestrogens and is much stronger than all the other types which just contain estradiol - the same oestrogen as made in our bodies.

Bleeding on combi HRT types is most usually due to balance of oestrogen to progesterone and of coursr you can't alter one without the other. Personally I would go back to the Femoston if you can but if the bleeding did not settle after 7 months maybe it is time to try either separate oestrogen and progesterone ( so that you can adjust ie increase the progesterone if there is bleeding) or to try a sequi/cyclical HRT which will give you a regular withdrawal bleed. They are all listed here:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php (scroll down for patches).

Separate oestrogen and progesterone are listed on the other tabs.

Hurdity x

wonkeydonkey

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »

thanks for that Hurdity - I am 60 in February 2017.  I didnt stop having periods till three years ago.    I will go back on Femaston for now - is it ok to go straight from Premique to Femaston?  I must admit - i do get embarrassed when i have to keep asking my GP to make changes to my HRT - .... but there must be one that is right for me.  My GP seems not to really know much about HRT.  So I will show her your message and the ones on the link you sent me.  The alternative is to stop  - but then the thought of the flushes and panic attacks coming back is more than enough to make me soldier on ... thanks for your fast reply - your help is much appreciated.   

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »

If you are switching back to Femoston then finish the course would be best - and then you will be taking the full course of the combi tabs. Then you can start the Femoston on Day 1 at the beginning of the course.

However if you are in it for the long term - at your age you might want to seriously think about separate oestrogen and progestogen as I mentioned in my previous post below.

If you are talking to your GP - then great to show her the different preparations on this site from the links at the top. However showing her a forum post is not likely to endear you to her as we are not medical professionals - however knowledgeable we night be about menopause and HRT compared to some GPs! The posts are for your benefit based on our knowledge and experience.

Good luck anyway :)

Hurdity x

Annflan

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »

I was interested to see that you have gone back onto Premique low dose I did not realise this was back in the market.  I was on that for years and it was perfect for me.  After it was no longer available I went onto the Femeston Conti low dose and seemed to be the same as you.nwent on the higher dose but felt pumped up and my tummy and boobs got bigger. Have now gone onto Indivina 1mg/2.5mg following advice from the forum.  However one week later my feet are really swollen and am obviously holding a lot of fluid.  I have had enough of it all. Would love to go back to the low dose premiquemif now available but fell that all the different types of hrt has messed me about too much.
Help!!

wonkeydonkey

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »

HI Annflan - so sorry for this late reply. You will probably have discovered that Premique low dose is back on the market by now  - it has been "re formatted" - whatever that means! I came off it (see post above) because this time it did not suit me so well.  Whether they have changed something - or something has changed in me I dont know.  I am still spotting/bleeding on Femaston Conti and so I am thinking of taking Hurdity's advice and going onto separate oestrogen and progesterone.  I am guessing that this will result in monthly bleeds (?) -  but have to confess that after the recent publicity regarding combined HRT I would have been tempted to change over anyway.  Hope you are getting sorted and that Premique LD will be as good for you as it used to be. Best of luck anyway!  :)