Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: TMJ Oh  (Read 2999 times)

losttheplot

TMJ Oh
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:08:20 PM »

I developed earache, tingling face and toothache a couple of days ago. I thought it was a bad tooth, but my lovely dentist thinks its TMJ (even though i don't have a clicky jaw). Im relieved its not a bad tooth as id probably have to lose it, but .....I've been reading the threads abiut TMJ on here & feel a bit  :-\
Dentist suggested ibuprofen gel rubbed on jaw and avoiding hard food.

Ju Ju

Re: TMJ Oh
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »

Although I do not have your symptoms or even heard of TMJ before (had to look it up), I developed a clicky jaw, which was uncomfortable when eating, singing etc. I consulted my chiropractor, who contacted my dentist, who made a mouth guard to wear on my bottom teeth at night. Not glamourous and I couldn't bear it at first, but I persevered and it has resolved the problem. The clicky jaw was caused by misalignment of my teeth due to previous dental treatment (not by my present dentist). I wonder whether this would help you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »

Swallow some Nurofen B4 bed. Rubbing can ease the sensation in the jaw line.  You may need to eat through a straw 4 a few days  ::) and yawning may well be painful  :o

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »

I sympathise as I have this disorder due to a misalignment.  Being unable to afford several thousand pounds for corrective orthodontic treatment I rely on my chiropractor to keep my jaw aligned and, bless him, on the whole he does.

I have to avoid hard and chewy food but I was also referred to physio.  It wasn't terribly effective but I still do the exercises I was given as it strengthens the muscles that support the jaw.

I bit through my night guard in a matter of weeks but I don't seem to grind my teeth in my sleep any more.

Try not to open your mouth too wide ie yawning or dental check ups and teeth cleaning.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »

I have this and cannot wear a night guard due to teeth trouble etc. I don't have a clicky jaw but I have to very careful not to eat anything chewy or hard like crusty rolls or toffee's or any food that requires sucking ;D ;D

The extent of the symptoms can be tremendous, ears/scalp/face/tongue/neck and every symptom you can think of in those areas!

One exercise I was taught that has helped me is to say the word cluck but stop at the clu - your tongue will be behind your front teeth. Hold this position for a few minutes then repeat 4-5 times a few times a day.  this puts your jaw in its proper position and def eases my symptoms but its not instant.

Try not to yawn ::)

losttheplot

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »

The extent of the symptoms can be tremendous, ears/scalp/face/tongue/neck and every symptom you can think of in those areas!

One exercise I was taught that has helped me is to say the word cluck but stop at the clu - your tongue will be behind your front teeth. Hold this position for a few minutes then repeat 4-5 times a few times a day.  this puts your jaw in its proper position and def eases my symptoms but its not instant.

Try not to yawn ::)
thank you for the advice- dentist also said don't yawn but since then i seem to have an almost overwhelming desire to yawn  ::)
I hàve this weird tingle as if the side of my face is numb, and a 'full' ear. The worse bit is the toothache which has been waking me in the night. Im sure im clenching my teeth in my sleep,  tbh im pretty sure im clenching during the day too....i must take more notice.

losttheplot

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »

Swallow some Nurofen B4 bed. Rubbing can ease the sensation in the jaw line.  You may need to eat through a straw 4 a few days  ::) and yawning may well be painful  :o.

Thanks CLKD, ive bought some ibuprofen gel. :)

Michelle28

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »

I developed earache, tingling face and toothache a couple of days ago. I thought it was a bad tooth, but my lovely dentist thinks its TMJ (even though i don't have a clicky jaw). Im relieved its not a bad tooth as id probably have to lose it, but .....I've been reading the threads abiut TMJ on here & feel a bit  :-\
Dentist suggested ibuprofen gel rubbed on jaw and avoiding hard food.

I have chronic nighttime jaw clenching. I woke up three weeks ago today and couldn't eat because of a sprained tooth ligament. It throws the bite off so that when you bite down, there is tooth pain and a feeling of sponginess around the tooth. Never experienced an episode from the clenching like this. It got so I had to eat oatmeal three times a day for several days. Finally, I tried alternating hot and cold packs along the outside jawline, next to and under the tooth; I was surprised how much relief I experienced and how quickly the the situation cleared up. I wished I had known about the ibuprofen gel. It probably would have cleared up a lot faster.