Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Haemochromotosis  (Read 4116 times)

countrybumpkin

Re: Haemochromotosis
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 10:27:11 AM »

Just to answer the no vit c question. You need vitamin c to be able to absorb iron from food so if you supplement with vitamin c you will absorb much more iron from your food as supplemental vitamin c is huge dose compared to the amount that is in food naturally.

For example the amount of iron absorbed from eating a steak of red meat with a green veg will be much much lower than if you took a high dose vit c tablet that day and then ate the above.

orchid

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »

Thanks CB, yes I've read all the info on it. Just eating little and often of my usual healthy diet anyway as my abdomen is so bloated. I've cut the supplements, red meat and cereal out and reduced the greens. I'm taking extra calcium rich foods to negate the iron and drinking plenty tea, which again reduces iron absorption.

Kathleen

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »

Hello orchid.

Before menopause  my periods were very heavy and I took all sorts of iron supplements.

My periods stopped in 2010 and in the same year I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis which is an inflammatory bowel disease. I then learned that extra iron should not be taken orally by anyone with UC as it damages the lining of the gut and if a patient needs iron it has to be given intravenously.

I am not suggesting you have UC, but it is another example if how iron overload is injurious to the digestive system so you may find your abdomen feels better now you are reducing your iron intake.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Mardy

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »

Kathleen - I too have UC  this started when my periods stopped. I didn't know that about iron. Mind you I don't take it, but have in the past when I used to have very heavy periods.

Kathleen

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »

Hello Mardy

I believe that we become more prone to inflammatory condtions as we age so maybe we were just unlucky!

I have been in remission for some time and my last colonoscopy showed a normal colon. I take two  Mezevant 1200 XL tablets daily  and eat a whole food plant based diet.

If you want to talk UC feel free to send me a personal message.

Take care.

K.

Mardy

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »

Thanks for that kathleen.
Pages: 1 [2]