Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tramadol  (Read 8031 times)

Melbury

Tramadol
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »

Sorry that this isn't specifically menopause related, but I am desperate :'(

Have been in so much pain with small fibre neuropathy affecting my feet that I have bee given Tramadol to take.  Please has anyone else ever taken this and not had bad side effects.  I am a person who is petrified of drugs and always looks them up on the internet, which is probably the worst thing to do.

This pain is worse than childbirth.

Many thanks for any feedback.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tramadol
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »

:hug:  chronic pain is difficult to deal with.  It requires 'managing'.  Who prescribed the Tramadol?  How often to you see a Consultant regarding the neuropthy?  I understand that some Hospitals hold Pain Clinics  run by Anaesthetists, might it be worth while ringing to see whether that is an option?

Melbury

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:22:59 PM »

:hug:  chronic pain is difficult to deal with.  It requires 'managing'.  Who prescribed the Tramadol?  How often to you see a Consultant regarding the neuropthy?  I understand that some Hospitals hold Pain Clinics  run by Anaesthetists, might it be worth while ringing to see whether that is an option?

Thanks for your reply.  I have only seen the consultant once - about 18 months ago - and it wasn't too bad then, just tingling and some strange feelings but no real pain.  He dismissed me and said there was no need to make another appointment and very often they never find out what causes this.  Fast forward and I could tell it was getting worse, so asked GP for another referral to consultant.  Neurologists are in really short supply in this area and I was sent an appointment last December for mid August 2016. 

However, in the past couple of months it has completely changed to a sharp burning pain in my right foot that is absolute agony - I have never experienced anything like it.  I can't bear anything touching the top of my foot and it wakes me up all the time, so not sleeping well.

In desperation I phoned GP and explained to him that I just can't carry on like this until mid August and I really don't want to go down the Gabapentin route, so he prescribed me Tramadol as he said I could take this as and when needed.

Our local pain clinic only gave my OH the option of Gabapentin, Amytriptalene or Pregabalin - he had to come off them all due to severe side effects (especially the Pregabalin).

Reading about the side effects of Tramadol really put me off, but the pain is making me feel so ill.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »

If it's 'as necessary', maybe try one about an hour B4 bed?

Also, give the Clinic a ring and see if they can bring the appt. forwards, are you able to take a 'no-show'/emergency gap if they rang that morning?

What else have you tried for pain relief?  Sometimes I take 2 x 200mg Nurofen then 60 mins. later another, that's enough to settle it.

Evelyn63

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 07:02:50 PM »

Tramadol are opioids but not as strong as say Oxycontin or Oxycodein ( sorry spelling may not be correct) all derived from morphine.  However, the positive is that Tramadol is an excellent analgesia when the pain is really severe.  The alternatives are Ibroprofen alternating with Paracetamol  i.e. two ibroprofen then two hours later you could take the paracetamol  They do different things and are safe to take . Stepping up from that is the Ibroprofen alternating with Co codomal /500  The difference being you are introducing an extra 8 mg codeine with the paracetamol.  These can all be bought OTC ( over the counter)  The next stage would be prescription only such as NSAI like Dicolofenic and Naproxen, all must be taken with a PPI like Omeprazole to protect the stomach.  These can be alternated with Co-dydromol similar to co codomal only containing a different element called dihydrocodeine or co codomol 30/500  which contain 30 mg codeine and 500 Paracetamol together.  Tramadol is similar .

Apologies about spelling mistakes.  This might help you and you could maybe try the Tramadol first and if it doesn't work or you don't like how it makes you feel, then you could request one of the others.  When I inured my back recently I was put on a regime and one of the medicines was co codomol 30/500   I found that by taking just one of these together with normal paracetamol it was adequate , and I was able to adjust them to suit my particular level of pain.

Bottom line is, with pain you are describing you really need something strong,at least initially to get on top of it.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »

2 Co-codamol and I'm on the bathroom floor  :-\

walking the dog

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »

Me too ckld I'm sensitive to the ingredients in it get terrible side affects 😠

Melbury

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »

Thanks for all of your helpful replies.

Apparently ibuprofen and paracetamol (even taken together) don't help this type of nerve pain at all and believe me I took quite a few.

Hasty, that is interesting about you not taking them at bedtime.  I was counting on them giving me a good nights sleep :(  I am a bit concerned about them making me feel "spaced out" as I have a full time job and have to be on the ball.  Do they make you feel at all strange?  Also, how many do you take a day?  I was only planning on one per day as they are quite strong.

Also, is it totally forbidden to have any alcohol with these?  It just says on the label "avoid alcohol" no mention of not drinking any alcohol whatsoever?  Not that I would drink very much if I was on them of course.

I did try to get my appointment brought forward from mid August and funnily enough the secretary called me back this afternoon to say that the very earliest they can do is 28th July - so at least that is a two week improvement.

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:25:31 PM »

I've found paracetamol with ibuprofen only works if you can catch it early. I've been suffering this last few days with migraine. Only thing that touched it was migraleve pink then yellow.

Tramadol is very good, but can turn you into a space cadet as a colleague of mine found out.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »

After how many though?

What did you decide? Try 1 tonight?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »

R U awake yet Melbury  ;)

Melbury

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »

I took one last night at about 10.15, but don't know if it really helped as my foot still hurt during the night.  I expected within five minutes of plucking up the courage to actually swallow it that the pain would be gone.

Must say I have felt very tired today at work - couldn't stop yawning.  I don't know how people can take large does of this type of medication and function normally.

Foot still hurts like hell :'(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 05:16:36 PM »

When asleep pain can seem 'different' some how. Do you think it was as acute as B4 taking the Tramadol?

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 06:31:36 PM »

When I have had intense, continuing pain it's not knowing when it will begin to ease that freaks me  :-\

Melbury

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 07:39:57 PM »

When asleep pain can seem 'different' some how. Do you think it was as acute as B4 taking the Tramadol?

You could be right CLKD, the pain was definitely still there but perhaps not quite as sharp and intrusive.  It still woke me up though

Pages: [1] 2