Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Osteopenia  (Read 6708 times)

Dana

Re: Osteopenia
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 05:01:21 AM »

Yesterday I was added to the list of osteoporosis sufferers, well I assume so.
I was diagnosed with ostepaenia in 2013 and given vit D and calcium which I gave up due to constipation.
Fast forward to April this year severe, very severe mid back pain and yesterday the go confirmed after X-ray I had spine fracture at T6. I'm not due a dexa until November it seems I may be made to wait for that.
I'm on nothing right now.
I'm scared witless of the possible treatments and really wish I could do it the healthy natural way.

Sometimes "natural" just doesn't cut it. Think all the "natural" cures for menopause that usually don't work.

If you are offered medication I would take it. I've had osteopenia for maybe around 8 years now and for most of that time I've been taking fosamax once a week, and I believe it helps, and I've had no adverse side effects from it. I certainly haven't developed osteoporosis yet anyway.

Dana

Re: Osteopenia
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 11:37:22 PM »

I agree StellaJ. I would also urge everyone to get a scan done at least every few years, even if you think you are okay, and even if you have to pay for it, because osteopenia doesn't have any symptoms. So you won't know you've got it until it progresses to osteoporosis and you break a hip. Once an older person breaks a hip the life expectancy becomes very limited (usually around 3-4 years according to my GP, and that's about what it was for my father). If you take action in the early stages the general outcome will probably be a lot better.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:40:20 PM by Dana »
Pages: 1 [2]