Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New on here, peri-menopausal and hypothyroid....getting fatter as we speak!  (Read 2240 times)

ladygt

Hi, putting weight on as if its going out of fashion! Just wondered if anyone has any tips on weight loss and exercise??
Had some bloods done recently and am peri-menopausal. Also had mirena fitted 18 months ago due to extremely heavy periods for a year. Am trying so hard to stay positive but when the doc says to just accept that this is the new me it's very difficult!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:58:59 PM by ladygt »

Taz2

Hi ladygt - just wanted to welcome you.

Weight gain can be a problem as we go into peri-menopause but your GP shouldn't just tell you to accept it. We need to eat smaller portions and exercise more to try to keep within a healthy weight which is so easy to type but so difficult to follow! You mention in your topic title being hypothyroid - this can lead to weight gain even when properly controlled so you may be trying to beat two things. I have read that up to 5% of women gain weight after insertion of the Mirena so maybe that's three things!! Have a good look around the forum at our posts - you can use the search button in the blue bar top left of the screen - and this may give you some idea of other's experiences of how to try to lose weight.

Someone else will be along soon with their advice I'm sure.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:welcomemm:  your GP should be referring you to a support Nurse if you are hypothyroid and a dietician for weight loss guidance.  Have a look at your Surgery web-site to see what survives they offer.  It's surprising what is happening in our Surgery without being told by the GP  ::)

There may be a Practice/Prescribing Nurse who does weight loss discussions.  No one should be told 'to live with it'!  All else fails, Weight Watchers for advice?

Browse round.  Make notes!

Cassie

I am also menopausal and hypothyroid I lost a huge amount of weight by cutting back on sugar and cutting out carbs, no pasta, bread etc. Eating more good fats, and walking daily, give it a bash its not a diet its a new lifestyle and it really helped myself and OH...trying to cut my daughters addiction to sugar is a challenge all on its own though!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

"It's a new Lifestyle"  -  fridge magnet that!  ;)

elsie001

Hi ladygt, like you I had the mirena coil fitted (about 9 months ago) for very heavy periods & have gained weight.  I've always had a sweet tooth, but since having it fitted that problem has increased ten-fold....and I have to force myself to eat fruit & other healthy foods....which was never a problem before.

Not sure why that happens but rest assured you're not alone.

Would it help to keep a food diary?  I'm trying to make the most of the fact it's Summer, and go for lighter meals but it's not easy - up here in north-east Scotland, temperatures are still comparible to Spring/Autumn!