Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: views on Citramopril for newbie.  (Read 2173 times)

Mardy Moo

views on Citramopril for newbie.
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »

Hi, I've just turned 40 and last year started having irregular periods ( I have always been bang on 28 days!) After 6 months they evened out again,but since then I seem to have turned in to someone I don't know and certainly don't like. Rage ,anger,paranoia,irritable,fits of uncontrollable jealousy (totally unfounded), palpitations,dizzy spells,loss of appetite  (not a bad thing ;D) insomnia, self loathing, loss of confidence,loss of interest in life,dark thoughts about cowardly ways to not be here anymore like going to sleep and not waking up ever again,and the embarrassing fits of tears and uncontrollable sobbing. Sound familiar?   Finally plucked up the courage to visit GP  as the nurse who did my recent cervical screening was most uninterested in what I had to say.GP diagnosed perimenopause which was kind of a relief, I wasn't just a mad woman!! My main concern was getting the emotions under control as it's starting to affect my marriage and daily life. She suggested a 10mg dose of Citramopril.  I just want help so I accepted. Having now found out that it is an antidepressant  (I've done the herbal route) I'm worried. The side effects sound awful and very much like the symptoms I'm trying to rid myself of. I've  never been a user of medicine unless it's unavoidable but this seems like my only option. Does anybody have experience of this drug? Any information negative or positive most welcome. Thankyou for your time ladies.x

Kathleen

Re: views on Citramopril for newbie.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »

Hello Mardy Moo and welcome to the forum.

You sound as if you've had a lot of symptoms already and I do sympathise.

It seems many GPs use ADs as their 'go to' medication when really what's needed is HRT.

There are many knowledgeable ladies who can advise you and I'm sure they'll be along shortly. You are certainly too young to be without a full complement of hormones!

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:12:25 PM »

Nowt wrong with ADs in the correct situation!

However, GPs should be talking through options, i.e. HRT, Vaginal atrophy, there are blood tests that may/not show where a lady is in the peri-journey.

Some ADs help anxiety symptoms.  Have a browse round, make notes!  I expect someone will be along with HRT advice, which you can print off to take to your GP ……….

Mardy Moo

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »

Thanks ladies.
 I think for me it's also about the kind of stigma attatched to Antidepressants,like you're weak and a failure.Also I've seen how terrible my mother in law has suffered with years of antidepressant use and episodes of trying to wean herself off them.
 My concern was also being quite young and being on drugs that could have an adverse affect with long term use. Very glad to have found this site and am slowly working my way around,gathering info.
Thanks for your support and prompt replies.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »

What was your M in L prescribed and when?

If you are hungry, do you not eat?  If you have pain what do you take?  Your brain is an organ that may require support, therefore GPs prescribe anti-depressant medications etc..

Hormonal changes require HRT advice!

Freckles

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »

I'm personally not a fan of AD's (although I  do recognise that some women find them helpful).
I think all they do is basically dampen down your emotions which may be good if you are clinically depressed to extent basic  daily living  is problematic, but ultimately if your problems are hormonal in origin, AD's aren't going to change that. HRT will.
AD's are dirt cheap for a GP to prescribe and easy to fob off women with a prescription for them. .
I think you need to go back to your GP and ask for hormone blood  tests.
You may well very likely be in a peri menopausal phase or have other hormonal issues, but you won't know until you are properly tested. I wasn't sure if you had been from your post?
If you are peri menopause there are some really effective and safe options to use- the regime of bio identical gel Estrogel and Utrogestan tablets (progesterone) seems to be best, rather than tablets.  Many women on here attest to that. Think there is a thread on that on "All Things Menopause" on this forum
I'm on that regime (I bit the bullet after the NHS let me down badly and only wanted to give me AD's and I saw Prof Studd privately) and after my first 10 weeks now feel better than I have done for years.  It is provided on the NHS but seems to be a lottery as to your GP's knowledge and interest in hormonal issues.  Most of them seem to be shocking ignorant.
I had loads of psychological symptoms  and was on totally the wrong HRT- low dose Femoston 1/10 tablets which were useless.
Honestly,  read all the posts, get clued up about what is actually effective (transdermal gel or patches of oestrogen works best, especially the gel).
It about getting the right HRT at the right dosage
I wish I had known about this information years ago- would have saved several years of my life feeling so crap. xx
Edited for typos!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:49:06 PM by Freckles »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »

Also, HRT can protect bones and heart ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »

Hi Mardy Moo

Belated :welcomemm: from me too - I've been away!

I agree - if your emotional/pyschological symptomds are new to you and are due to hormones then you should not be prescribed ADs! I quite agree! I had the sobbing before I was even peri-menopausal or perhapas I was but didn't realise...it's due to the hormonal fluctuations.

At your age it is definitely advised to have blood tests especially if premature/early menopause is suspect. Usually they should be taken 4-6 weeks apart ie two lots done, as they vary so much at this stage.

You may well be fine with just a small boost of oestrogen (as part of HRT) at this stage - but it is always difficult to determine how you will feel in advance.

Some gynaes recommend the birth control pill at this point as it suppresses ovulation and regulates the cycle. There is a new one called Qlaira which only has two tablet free days - ideal during peri-menopause - and the oestrogen is excatly the same as in HRT and is bio-identical to our own oestrogen ie estradiol.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php

HRT type estrogen containing pill

A new combined pill, Qlaira is now available which contains natural estradiol valerate as the estrogen component, rather than the synthetic estrogen ethinylestradiol. Ethinylestradiol is the usual component of the combined pill whereas estradiol valerate is an HRT type estrogen. This is a useful option for women in the perimenopause when it should control menopausal symptoms while providing contraception and good control of bleeding.

It is essential that at your age you do not actually go into menopause - as the others have said - you need to maintain oestrogen levels to help protect bones and heart.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x