Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New to site & help needed re fatigue/mood swings  (Read 3113 times)

ellie1234

New to site & help needed re fatigue/mood swings
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »

Hi all,

I'll soon be 53 and have had none of the traditional menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes, loss of periods or night sweats but I'm always tired and I used to be always positive and an optimist but I find myself being negative about everything which isn't really me.  I get irritable, anxious and my concentration/memory is poor.   I've had regular periods until my most recent one which came on after 21 days and lasted about 7/8 days (it was very light).   I was really pleased that something irregular had happened as I'm hoping that this is the beginning of the end.  About 5 years ago I went through a spate of heavy periods but that has thankfully stopped.  I'm not very assertive and haven't been to the GP - wouldn't really know what to ask for.   I recently considered HRT as a couple of my colleagues are on it but since I've never taken vitamin or iron pills I doubt I'll have the courage to try it.   So whatever part of the menopause I'm in - it feels like it's affecting my mood, emotions and changing my personality.   And I'm always tired but it's more an emotional fatigue than a physical one if that makes sense.    Does anyone recognise this and can advise.   Thank you. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to site & help needed re fatigue/mood swings
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »

Yep. You are in the right place!   :welcomemm:

Browse round. Make notes!  Keep a diary/mood chart plus when you have periods: mine waxed and waned for a couple of years then disappeared.  I had hot flushes for a few months, more like a warm 'glow' across my back after my bath.  I get itchy insteps ………..

Don't dismiss a good diet, gentle regular exercise, HRT if it helps.  It doesn't have to be for ever and if it relieves any symptoms, that has to be good.  Some ladies find they don't need it, I have local oestrogen replacement for a dry vagina [for which we have several threads  ::)].  This manifested itself initially in urine 'infection'-type symptoms of needing to pee often  >:(

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles can become lax = aches and pains in various joints  ::)

Your GP should do a blood test to check your thyroid function levels because if this gland is upset, it can mimic menopause!

ellie1234

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »

Thanks so much for your helpful response.  Just discovered the site and haven't yet had time to read and digest.   Will spend the weekend making notes!

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »

ellie1234, welcome to MM.

From what you have said, it sounds like you would really benefit from HRT, you should not be feeling the way you do or accepting that it is normal.  I watched a friend I used to work with years ago undergo a complete personality change during the menopause and she now has osteoporosis.  Like many other women, she was scared off HRT and it cost her many years of her life and she frequently used to say "my life is over now", please don't go there. 

I would suggest bio identical, transdermal, cylical HRT.  I, like many others on here, use Oestrogel/Utrogestan and have found it to be the best HRT regime by far.  Have a read up on it and then try to get your doctor to prescribe it for you.  I think you would feel like your old self in no time.  My friend wishes this had been available to her in the 1990s.

ellie1234

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »

Thanks Mary for taking the time to reply.   I think it is time to do something - the fatigue and the irritability has been going on for quite a while.  I'll research your suggestion over the weekend and make an appointment with the GP.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »

Take a list of symptoms and what you think will help ;-)

Lizab

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »

Good for you, ellie 1234, for recognizing what's happening with such subtle symptoms! I am having an early menopause at 39, so a couple years ago when I was suddenly irritated by everything, felt like a different personality, I didn't think at all about needing hormone replacement, and all that on top of extremely heavy and irregular periods. My syptoms compounded and became unbearable before I sought help. Whether you choose to act now or wait and see, you're on top of it already just by acknowledging what is going on. Good luck and be sure to let us know how your gp visit goes!