Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 46 on HRT and feeling miserable!  (Read 3015 times)

Missystk

46 on HRT and feeling miserable!
« on: June 23, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »

Hi there

I'm also new here  and  started on HRT 6 months ago  on Elleste Duo. I've taken them since I was 45 having not had a period in 15 months. I'm not too happy with the effect they are having on my body, weight gain and bloating and feel like I've been hit by a bus getting out of bed every morning with sore joints etc.  I've found HRT initially helped with the night sweats but, has been short lived.
I'm  looking to find an alternative remedy.  I walk up to 40 miles per week with the dogs and love being active just finding it difficult to motive myself . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 46 on HRT and feeling miserable!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »

:welcomemm:

As oestrogen levels drop so the muscles become lax = aches and pains  ::).  Some ladies find that HRT will ease symptoms as does a good pain relief, i.e. Nurofen.

Some one will be along with more info on HRT - you can use the 'search' button and type in Elleste Duo to see how other ladies have got on with it.

Browse round!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »

Missystk - welcome to MM
Do you get a monthly withdrawal bleed or are you on the continuous Elleste Duet?
It sounds to me as though this type of HRT is not suiting you.  Do look under TREATMENTS above as there are others you can try that may suit you better.  It's worth putting up with the monthly bleed so you can gage whether the progesterone in a particularly HRT suits you or not. GPs will often prescribe Elleste first as it is the cheapest!!! If I were you I'd try Femoston 2/10 sequential to see if that suits you better (it has a kinder progesterone that suits many women very well) - if it doesn't, then try something different - it is trial and error.
You may also want to have a Mirena fitted and then use oestrogen as gel or patch (which is often more effective) as this would enable you to increase the amount of oestrogen you use as, again, if your sweats aren't under control you may need a higher dose.
You are young to be low on oestrogen and HRT will be doing your heart and bones good for their longer term health - I certainly wouldn't stop HRT at your age.
I'm afraid there aren't any real alternatives that will help you - you are already getting plenty of good exercise but a look at your diet may be necessary as we do need to eat less as we get older.
You have many options so do browse around the site and get clued up - most of us find we need to tell our GPs what we want to try as they don't tend to be on the ball!! :-\  Keep posting - we are here to help.  DG x

Missystk

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »

Thank you Dancinggirl

I had not had a period for 15 months when my Doctor recommended Elleste Duo since starting I had some spotting in the 3rd month but nothing since. You suggested either Femoston 2/10 or having a Mirena fitted and oestrogen gel/patch. My husband has had a vasectomy and having not had a period in over 15 months would this be of benefit?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:39:16 AM by Missystk »

clare663

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:55 PM »

Hi Missystk. If you have not had a period for 15months( did you still have them before starting on the HRT?) then the conti is what you need unless you want to have a bleed. Im not sure on the dosage of the Elleste but it could be a low dose and simply that you need a higher dose. Have a look on the treatments on the top tab of this site and look for a medium or high dose . 6 months is plenty of time to tell if your HRT is helping and clearly it isnt! xx

clare663

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »

Just had a look and you are on a high dose already!! Yes definately try a different HRT. Having too much hormone replacement can make you feel as bad as not having enough so maybe move to a medium dose or the gel.xx

Missystk

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »

HI Clare663

No had not had  a period for 15 months before I was put on Elleste. Had all the other symptoms of peri menopausal for a couple of years before that

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:11:32 PM »

Missystk - The Mirena is used for post menopausal women as part of HRT - not for contraceptive purposes: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php.
The Mirena will keep the womb lining thin so this means there shouldn't be any bleeding after the first few weeks and allows as much or as little oestrogen to be used alongside as gel or patch - so is a good combination as there is no bleed required to shed the lining.  Many women find they get fewer progesterone side effects with the Mirena as it delivers the progesterone more locally - in post meno it is simply used as a way of protecting the womb lining. 
I think the side effects ou are experiencing is because you are using progesterone all the time and if you tried either Mirena with separate oestrogen or a different sequential HRT you may find you feel better.  Still think you should try the Femoston sequential first to see how you feel.
It's trial and error I'm afraid.  DG x

Missystk

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:36:06 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for your advice. I've had an appointment with the Doctor and left with a prescription for Femoston and if this doesn't help the Dr agreed Mirena plus gel or patch would probably be the better option.

Many thanks for all  your advice,  feeling a lot more positive.
I should have come to the Forum a long time ago.  :-*

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »

That's OK - you are here now >wave<

Well done your GP!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »

Keep us posted about your progress.  DG xxxx