Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Periods every two weeks on Oestrogel/Utrogestan....  (Read 6118 times)

Liz

Periods every two weeks on Oestrogel/Utrogestan....
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »

Yet again, I've got another period.  Had one two weeks ago on the Utro phase and now I'm on day 8 of the Utro and got one again.  Was trying to reset my cycle, but this is getting worse than when I wasn't on HRT.  I know it's probably my own cycle kicking in, but with the HRT I'm now getting two periods a month.

Thinking of trying to stop and see what happens to my own cycle.  Any thoughts, ladies? Would be grateful for any opinions.

Mary G

Re: Periods every two weeks on Oestrogel/Utrogestan....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »

A few questions, how old are you, where are you in the menopause and what dose of Oestrogel/Utrogestan are you taking?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »

I'm afraid Utrogestan isn't that good at controlling the cycle - I had problematic bleeding with this regime and if you are peri meno then this can create more problems.  It could be worth coming off everything for 4 weeks to let your womb lining completely shed, see how you feel generally and then start again.  If you are still getting periods then you could start the HRT to coincide with the your natural cycle. DG x

Liz

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 04:56:38 PM »

A few questions, how old are you, where are you in the menopause and what dose of Oestrogel/Utrogestan are you taking?

Hi Mary - I'm 48, not sure exactly where I am in meno (assume peri) as I've been using HRT since my symptoms began in 2012, so around 4 years ago.  I'm using 2 pumps gel and 200mg Utrogestan for 12 days per month.

Thanks DancingGirl - I'm considering a break just to see what occurs (but nervous that symptoms may return).  Can always re-start again, I suppose.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »

Liz, you are taking a lot of progesterone for that dose of Oestrogel and you are probably also producing your own progesterone as well.  It could be a case of too much progesterone.  I agree that it might be a good idea to take a complete break from everything for a month and see what happens.  Of course you can starting taking it again after a month. 

My advice would be to reduce the amount of progesterone to 100mg and make sure you use it vaginally. 

Liz

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »

Thanks for your reply, Mary.  What would be the effects of taking too much progesterone?  Would this cause bleeding every 2 weeks, do you think?  Wondering whether I should see my GP before taking a break or just go for it.......... and how would I go about taking a break?  Would I just stop everything now?  Many thanks.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »

If you are bleeding then there is lining to shed (most likely - if it is a proper period type bleed).

The bleeding may well be better controlled if you use more progesterone rather than less - which is what gynaecologists usually recommend from what I've read. What does your GP/gynae suggest.

If you are taking it orally it may well be that you are not absorbing the progesterone very well and so it is not controlling your cycle. As Mary G says taking it vaginally might help - but initially I would stick to the licensed dose (of 200 mg used vaginally) and see if this means you only bleed once a month.

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 08:48:21 PM »

Liz, I would try the vaginal route for a month and then have a uterine scan.  It's always a good idea to have a scan anyway to make sure everything is OK and you will be able to see how well your lining is shedding.  You can either do it through the NHS or there are plenty of places that do them privately. 

Liz

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »

Well, I spoke to my GP this evening and she says I can either come off it and see how I go with symptoms, etc or carry on as I am, in the hope that the two periods a month will settle down.  Forgot to ask her about using the Utro vaginally though.

Any opinions?  I havent actually used the Oestrogel for a few days now as I thought I'd decided to try without for a month or so and see what my own cycle does.  Still not sure if this is the best course of action though....... 

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

Liz, why not give yourself some time off and then, when you stop bleeding and perhaps after a four week break, start the gel again and then use the Utrogestan vaginally.  I honestly think that Utrogestan is far more successful when used vaginally (must be placed next to the cervix).  If for some reason you can't tolerate it when used in this way, it might be better to find an alternative form of progesterone. 

I haven't heard of any women who have spotting or unscheduled bleeding when using Utrogestan vaginally but of course I stand to be corrected. 

Liz

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:28:52 AM »

Thank you, Mary.  I am going to try and stick to a month's break..... wish me luck!  Nothing awful yet but it's only been 5 days.  Will definitely try the vaginal route if I re-start the HRT though.  Will be good to see what my own cycle is doing naturally as I've been on HRT for over 3 years now.