Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 47 and just started on HRT advice please  (Read 2223 times)

Debbiemc

47 and just started on HRT advice please
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »

Hi, after 3 years of night flushes, headaches, irregular and missed periods, not to mention mood swings, I've finally started on HRT.
I think I've been in denial over those last few years, and it's only now, reading others stories, that I realise that I am Peri-menopausal.

It's been a massive thing for me to finally take the tablets, and I'm still questioning whether or not I do need them. Bonkers, I know, but hey, that'll be the hormones I guess!

Ok, so, can anyone advise me where I am on this peri, full, post menapausel ride? My periods are very irratiic, about every 4 months I go 60+ days without a period, then I'll spend the next few months having a period every 15 or so days. As previously stated, this has been happening for about 3 years.

Also, what can I expect from the HRT? I'm taking Elleste duo 1mg.

Thank you in advance!  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 47 and just started on HRT advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:32:22 PM »

:welcomemm:

If you are hungry, do you not eat?  If you have aches and pains ……….  :-\ so it stands to reason, if your body needs support ????  Try the HRT as prescribed for at least 6 months and then reassess  ;)

Browse round.  Make notes!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Debbiemc
If you are getting periods, even if they are erratic, then you are still peri meno and this stage can go on for several years.
Elleste can be a good one to try first and it should give you a predictable monthly bleed.  Flushes, Night sweats etc should disappear within 2-4 weeks and better sleep usually means you generally feel better. 
Elleste has a synthetic, yet effective progesterone and some find this particular progesterone can give some PMT type symptoms  - this is why there are different HRT types and it can be trial and error before you find one that suits you.
It will take at least 3 months for your body to adjust so do expect some side effects at first.
You are young to be low on oestrogen so HRT is the sensible choice for you right now - the oestrogen used now will be good for the long term health of your heart and bones and also help to prevent bladder and vaginal problems in the long term.
Don't look for problems - just enjoy feeling better.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »

Hi Debbiemc

:welcomemm:

Hope you are beginning to feel better :)

Hurdity x