Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sciatica  (Read 2617 times)

Evelyn63

Sciatica
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »

Developed dreadful pain in back radiating down left leg, hobbled about all weekend, but now the pain is excruciating.  Ive been taking Ibroprofen alternating with co codomal plus all the usual heat/ice and gentle stretches.  The analgesia only seems to work for a short while, plus as I suffer from IBS Im starting to get stomach upsets, so the cure is almost as bad if not worse than the illness !  Haven't taken any at all since this morning, and have a physio and GP appointment booked for tomorrow morning.  Just feeling exhausted with it.  Strangest thing is I have no pain when sitting or lying  down but almost impossible to walk.  I was looking after my grandchild mid week for two days and there was a lot of lifting and twisting  in and out of car, cot etc, plus I had a chest infection and Im sure the coughing didn't help !

walking the dog

Re: Sciatica
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »

My sciatica cleared up when i stopped working with small chikdren I'm convinced I doing things at their level that sets it off which would make sense if you had grandchildren evelyn63 hope it goes soon its not nice

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:37:47 PM »

I suffered if I didn't bend/kneel to put dogs' leads/collars on  ::).  Two Nurofen tablets and a Very Brisk walk usually loosened the nerve but sometimes it has been difficult to sit on the loo  :o

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »

Try Ibuleve or Volterol rubbed into the lower back - transdermal HRT is often more effective, so these analgesic gels can be very good. It does take time for these things to heal but do keep moving - I find walking really relieves my sciatic pain but you must avoid lifting or twisting I'm afraid - coughing can be a killer.. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:03:01 PM »

How is it this morning?

Evelyn63

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »

Thanks everyone, been to GP and physio.  Physio concerned there may be a fracture ( I fell about three weeks ago !) so Im having an X-ray tomorrow , she's not keen to do anything until results are through, but she has advised using a walking stick meantime !  GP gave me loads of analgesia, muscle relaxants, anti imflamatories etc, but to be honest, the side effects are so frightening especialy for the Naproxen, I will stick to paracetamol. Im so fed up , Im used to running around and being busy, this is so strange being practically housebound.  I love walking but cant walk more than a few yards before having to stop.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »

Snap!  I posted on here about 6 weeks ago as I was housebound and could not walk or stand at all without excruitiating back and leg pain. Mine was due to one of my already dodgy lower discs suddenly bulging and the bulge compressing the nerve. I had mri scan. 
I had physio after 4 weeks and am now 7 weeks later much better in that I can stand for up to 5 mintues now and have not had much leg pain most days for past week.
If its a disc like mine is then the neurosurgeon said it takes up to 3 months for your body to heal itself as much as it can and sometimes up to 6 months.
I tried gabapentin and tramadol and oramorph but nothing touched the pain when I stood up, I only got relief from sitting down. As you say the side effects are not worth it. I said to my Dr before the drugs I was in terrible pain - now I am in terrible pain and feel ill as well!
Glad you are having an x ray as a fracture needs to be ruled out, if it is then ask for mri scan as your Gp can send you for one of your lumbar spine.
6 weeks ago I was sure I would forever be housebound and using a wheelchair to go out but now I am much improved although still need a wheelchair if I want to go round shops/garden centres.

Evelyn63

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:54 PM »

Thanks County Bumpkin,your post is reassuring.  Im feeling a tad down tonight , sounds silly as I know there are people a lot worse off than me but as I said Im so used to be up first thing and being busy all day, this enforced rest is alien to me and Im finding it hard to adjust.  Going for a nice lunch tomorrow after the X-ray.  We've a restaurant that we can park very close to so not much walking involved.  I miss the grandchildren, was meant to be looking after them tonight/tomorrow.  Thankfully other granny has stepped in.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »

Whatever you do don't push yourself. I did this for nearly 2 weeks and ended up being unable to stand up at all without agony. I found that staying sitting down with very short walks ( even just 10 seconds) helped pain wise but as soon as I tried to keep going I just put myself back.  Have you put ice pack wrapped in teatowel on your back for 20 mins a time on and off all day as this helped me as it reduces inflammation.

AFter a couple of weeks I adjusted to being stuck at home, it was that or going doolally ::). I decided to make the best of it and actually appreciated my house and garden more.