Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can that little bit of estrogen really makes such a major difference?!?  (Read 2005 times)

matildamouse

I recently had blood and saliva tests done for hormones which came back extremely high while on BHRT. After posting here and many of you queuing the results, I decided to try and wean myself of HRT to have another set of bloods whilst not on HRT to review where I stand. I managed for 2 weeks without my usual 25mg Estradot patch and continuous 100mg oral Progesterone when the hot flushes returned with a vengeance, as well as feeling unstable emotionally etc. I decided to go back on my regime and within less than a week I am nearly flush free and feeling so much better.

Can such a small dose of estrogen really make such a major difference? Feels just weird to think this small piece of plastic stuck on my tummy mean the difference between sanity and insanity???

ancient runner

Um... I think you've just proved it can.  ;D

Kathleen

Hello matildamouse.

Maybe your experience demonstrates how some women can have a trouble free menopause, they just have that little bit extra oestrogen that sees them though it all ( and I am so jealous ) .

Take care.

K.

Dancinggirl

In my experience even a very small amount of oestrogen can do wonders.  We are all different and we all respond to hormones differently.  I actually think that many ladies believe they higher doses of oestrogen when in fact they would do better on less.  I also think we store the hormones - I find if I stop all hormones it takes at least 2 weeks for the flushes etc to return!!!
If a 25mg patch works then stick with it.  The Utro may be having a calming effect for you as well. DG xxx

Liz

I'll let you know shortly...... ;)  I'm trying a break from the HRT at the moment but it's only been 4 days.  Won't be hesitating to restart it if symptoms are troublesome, but I wanted to see what my own cycle is doing at the moment as I'm peri.

matildamouse

What you said make sense DancingGirl regards the storage of hormones. Liz please let us know, that will be an interesting experiment.

I decided to ignore those test results with the ridiculous levels. I know now I need a small amount of estrogen and...que sera sera...as I really can NOT cope with the hot flushes and constantly feeling sweaty and dirty.

clare663

I think we do store it. I was great after 2 weeks on the conti patch then by wk 6 I was in a terrible state so took it off! Been 3 weeks without now and feel so much better (after 10 days of feeling anxious). The hot flushes are coming back but not like they were before, but if they do increase I will just pop on third of a patch. Im 5 yrs meno!