Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post natal depression/pmt/hormones  (Read 2060 times)

Chi chi

Post natal depression/pmt/hormones
« on: June 21, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »

Wasn't quite sure where to post this?

Prof Studd writes and talks about women that have never had hormonal/mental health issues that then go onto suffer with post natal depression, cyclical depression, pmt etc. I never suffered with any hormonal problems or mental health issues or even pmt before having children, this could have been because I was always on the combined pill beforehand?
I just wonder how many of us suffered since having kids and if we think it's due to our hormones going haywire after pregnancy and never "resetting" or could it be just the total mayhem that happens after childbirth, the realisation that our lives have changed so much and the pressure of being new mums etc

I suffered with PND with my first, not terribly to the point where I was housebound or constantly crying, it started while I was in hospital after a long but not difficult birth. I felt so alone and completely overwhelmed with it all and that I'd never be able to do it. After getting home I remember crying in hubbys arms while our daughter was crying in his other arm, all while he was studying for a-levels! Poor bugger lol.
That seemed to pass but I started to feel useless and my confidence had completely gone, I still felt very lonely and low in mood, enter first antidepressant!
I always felt that I'd/something changed since then but wether it was hormones or life change or what I have no clue?

Trufflecat

Re: Post natal depression/pmt/hormones
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »

Me. I could have written that apart from I DID have pmt before. Thing was that when I was single and lived in a shared house I think I didn't notice it so much because I didn't have to please anyone other than myself. If I felt like being on my own I would just go and lose myself in a book.

Keepgoing

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »

I have never had children and have always had severe pmt and cyclical depression and anxiety a few times to the point of not wanting to live anymore. Until peri and hrt this was never picked up on...maybe having a kid would have sorted mine out but don't really think so. I am much better now on hrt xx

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »

Exactly like me. I am 47 with a 4 yr old and a one yr old. Haven't been right simce my first was born and gradually gettin worse. Definitely pnd. But I habe always had terrible periods but could never get on with the pill! But it is the cjrange in mental health which is scary

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »

I always suffered with PMS from being about 13. Some months it was really bad, and my temper was vile.

Had bad PND after my first child was born, and the only reason I didn't get it after my 2nd child was because I was already on ADs.

But I did recover and felt fine, with just getting PMS again, for the next 6-7 years. But then 3 years ago I noticed my PMS was changing, making me much more depressed and anxious, rather than bad tempered. And my PMS was lasting much longer.

Looking back I think I have now ended up with PMDD which is the very severe form of PMS and can be pretty much constant, only getting a few days a month feeling 'normal'.

I have never had the sweats, or VA or aches and pains associated with peri menopause, just dreadful low mood, anxiety, mood swings. So I really think I have PMDD.

Chi chi

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »

So was everyone on the pill (apart from tinkerbellj) and still got pmt??
I was always on the combined pill and never suffered, you wouldn't have even known it was my time of the month! I used to stop the pill on Sunday evening and by Wednesday lunchtime, almost to the hour I'd get the bleed. By Friday it'd stopped! That's how it always was.

Keepgoing

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 11:57:13 PM »

I was only ever on the pill for a couple of years and I could have killed someone while on it xx

Trufflecat

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 06:07:26 AM »

The pill made me very owl. The progesterone VB only pill totally removed my libido and gave me terrible spots