Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: High blood sugar levels  (Read 1966 times)

ellie

High blood sugar levels
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »

My doctor sent me for a blood test this week as I keep complaining of being very tired, and he said we will take your sugar levels again for diabetes as the last blood tests have been high (news to me  >:()
 The recpionist phoned me yesterday to say the doc wants to talk to me about my glucose levels......I am going on Monday to see him.......Anyone else have trouble with gloucose levels?

coldethyl

Re: High blood sugar levels
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:53:25 AM »

I was diagnosed as diabetic ( type 2) at the start of what turned out to be an escalation of my peri symptoms. I was your typical type 2 , overweight and addicted to carbs- research showed me that the two are symptoms of what I think of as carb intolerance - since cutting out most carbs from my diet and following a low carb higher fat diet as recommended by many in the field, I've lost a lot of weight, my sugars have normalised and I feel , peri aside, much more in control of my eating.
Your GP will , depending on your hba1c ( a test that looks at blood glucose over three month period) offer medications such as metformin and send you on an education course. I found the former useful in early days, but the course was a bit rubbish tbh. If I can suggest a website, have a look at diabetes.co.uk for advice.
Above all, don't panic and remember that it isn't controllable. It's also worth a read of Prof Roy Taylor on reversing diabetes through diet and also Michael Moseley's book on blood sugar diet.

ellie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »

Thank you that was very helpful  :). I know I need to loose some weight, so it will be the kick start I need, but not easy when as disabled as I am.......I am annoyed with my doctor for not telling me over the recent months, that my blood sugars were rising all the time  >:(

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »

Hello ellie.

I wanted to add that whenever I have a blood test I ask for  a printout of the results so that I can keep my own record of results just in case my GP overlooks something. This might be something you can start doing for reassurance in the future.

Wishing you well.

K.

ellie

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »

Thank you Kathleen that's a very good idea, going on Monday so I will ask for one.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »

Take a list with you Ellie?  I would want to know why the GP hadn't called me in to discuss those results.  Let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »

How annoying that they didn't tell you ellie? There is a trend nowadays to warn patients of "pre-diabetes" - since, although it is not a problem in itself, it does warn of sugar levels close to the range at which Type 2 diabetes is diagnosed. As Kathleen - I now get a print-out of results -although previously asked for them over the phone. I would like to ask for all my old ones but don't want to take up the receptionists' time! As coldethyl says with Type 2 it is very easy to control blood sugar levels by cutting out most pure carbs and sugar and reducing fruit/juice - and you will automatically lose weight in the process.. Good luck at the doc!

Hurdity x