Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Am I losing my mind?  (Read 2011 times)

pricey

Am I losing my mind?
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:23:15 PM »

Hi ladies,

Been a while since I was on as I've been coping.

On elleste duet 1mg which has helped with short unpredictable cycles and heavy bleeds, and hot flushes. The panics I was waking up with shortly after falling asleep subsided for the first couple of months, but after 6 months are back with a vengeance. I wake up, heart racing either thinking -- or saying -- I've forgotten my medicine (I only take the HRT and an allergy nasal spray!) Hubby finds this amusing, as I do on reflection. At the time, my heart is racing and I'm really disorientated. It happens at least 5 nights out of seven. Mentioned it to the GP as I was worried it could be early Parkinsons (which my Mum has) and she found this amusing . . . She said we could up the dose of elleste to 2mg, but she was reticent if this was the only reason to.(I told her the symptom stopped for the first few weeks). She suggested a counsellor for anxiety. I don't think that's the issue.

This week I started a new job. I've been out of work for over a year. It's a big change for me (a job as a carer) and there's lots to learn. I was pretty stressed on Tuesday worrying I wouldn't be able to cope. Yesterday was better and I found things to enjoy, although I'm still apprehensive. Lately, I've found I occasionally muddle my words up, think one thing and say another. Today this has happened so many times. I'm thinking, is it stress, peri-meno? A combination? Or am I getting alzheimers?!!!

Can anyone relate to these problems?

:-\

xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Am I losing my mind?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »

Yep.  I often forget the names of people I've known for years, I call items the 'wrong' names  ::) …….. fuzzy headed.

You could be waking suddenly due to busy dreams, worrying dreams, a drop in blood sugar …….. which can cause us to feel awful.  Maybe too you've had the new job in the back of your mind which has caused you to waken suddenly.

Make sure that you eat regularly through out the day/night.  Maybe a light supper B4 bed or have biscuits by the bed if you wake in the night.

You are not losing your mind!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 07:34:05 AM »

Hi pricey

It's great to find non-medical strategies for coping with anxiety - but equally there should not be any reason which you could not also increase your dose to 2 mg and see if you feel better? Do you have other symptoms that indicate your dose is too low eg flushes and sweats or bladder problems, aching joints?

Hurdity x

Jube

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:12:07 PM »

Hi Pricey
I'm  on the same hrt  as you and have been experiencing exactly the same thing - waking in a panic thinking I've not taken my medication. Sometimes I wake and don't know where or who I am for a split second - really scarey.
Just wanted to say you're not alone and I was happy to find out neither am I  :)

walking the dog

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »

Your not loosing your mind but your def experiencing symptoms related to peri/and menopause which make you think your loosing the plot ! Have a look in private lives loads. Posts on there about anxiety depression general feelings of ' loosing it ' hope you find some help 😊