Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estring  (Read 2649 times)

Jennifer1234

Estring
« on: June 17, 2016, 06:42:15 PM »

Evening ladies

I've just switched from vagifem to estring today .......... Well I've got the estring from doctors not used yet. One thing that I can't believe is how big it is ?? :o. I had visions of a very small rubber band like ring but it's very very thick . I'm now thinking this is going to be a pain ...... Not literally but cannot imagine being able to be intimate with this in place ( sorry tmi  :-\ :-\) which then means can't be spontaneous .........now thinking may have been better to stick to vagifem  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Can anyone share their experiences on this ?  Thanks you xx

Tinkerbell

Re: Estring
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »

I have been thinking about given it a go, so let us know how you get on.

I thought that you could remove it for sex.

How big is it then? I tried a contraceptive diaphragm  many moons ago and found that a struggle :-\
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:26:07 PM by Tinkerbell »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »

I used the Estring for 6 months and sex was fine.  You can take it out before having sex if you want to - then just put it back afterwards - you just give it a wash before reinserting it.
I did tend to get a bit of thrush when using the Estring so it is a good idea to use some vaginal gel like Hyalofemme or Multi Gyn Actigel to help reduce the chance of thrush and BV taking hold - just a small amount used each night really helps.  I'm currently using Vagifem 2-3 times a week but the Estring does give a consistent dose of oestrogen so is good for tackling VA and you don't get the irritation from the fillers in the oestrogen creams or Vagifem - I may well go back to using the Estring.
Good luck  Dg x

Ljp

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:54:03 PM »

I have the estring, been using for the past 6 months, and love it, do not feel it at all once it's in, it fits similar to a diaphragm, never had any issue with it at all.
It can be removed and reinserted as and when, and can be rinsed under warm water.
Much less messy that estriol cream I was using before, can't comment re vagifem as not used that.
I tried a couple of weeks without estring, after my GP suggested it might not be necessary as well as tge oestrogel. But I found soreness during sex returned, so now back to using my estring.

Jennifer1234

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »

Hi ladies

Thank you very much for all your feed back ......... I'm planning on starting to use it tomorrow morning so I will update you on how I find it ( tinker bell ).

I'm hoping I don't start getting a problem with BV as that's why I stopped using contraceptive cap few years back 🤔.

To me it just seems very large .... Not so much in diameter but thickness ........ I've had a hysterectomy and my cervix removed so possible I'm shorter so to speak inside so it looks like to me it's going to take up too much room ....... Hope that makes sense ?? 😟😱.

Plus my partner could feel the cap during intercourse so I'm pretty sure he will feel this ........ The cap in comparison is thin ( although same diameter ) .......... You don't think doctor has given me an industrial size washer by mistake 😂😂😂😂😂 that what it looks like!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »

As I mentioned before, you can remove it when having sex.  BV can be a problem in post meno because of the vaginal dryness, so the oestrogen from the Estring should help to keep things healthy.  Using moisturising gels like Hyolafemme, Replens or Multi Gyn Actigel regularly will help to keep things healthy as well.  DG x

ancient runner

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 08:03:04 AM »

I've had mine for a couple of years. Partner has never mentioned noticing it. It's got to be fairly chunky to stay there, remember - a rubber band's just going to slide out. The first time I used mine I did notice it for the first couple of hours. That was a couple of years ago. Hasn't ever occurred to me to take it out during sex but I guess you could. Just not sure why you would...