Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Any suggestions gratefully received!  (Read 2486 times)

mumsmoneytree

Any suggestions gratefully received!
« on: June 16, 2016, 01:35:08 PM »

Hi all, over the last few years I have visited this site on and off to get some very valuable reassurance that Im not totally mad.
Never had a problem with hormones at all until age 40 and went on the pill that was progesterone only which made me feel quite unwell. During the two years I was really unwell for most of the time with vertigo like symptoms, nausea and as unfortunately I lost my parents during that time was pigeonholed as having 'anxiety'. I was also having two periods a month. I kept telling my doc I felt it was hormonal and all he did was hand me prescriptions for anti depressants which I never touched.  In his absence a locum suggested I try a combined pill and I became a new person with about six weeks.  In the three years I took it I stopped once on my doctors advice and the dizzy foggy headachey symptoms returned along with a huge hair loss so I took it again within weeks.  I felt like me again for three years was exercising daily and enjoying life.  For the last six months its almost felt like its help is wearing off a bit and four four months no usual monthly bleed.  I have been back to unhelpful doc as there is no longer an alternative and he is telling me its anxiety! Again!! Ive twisted his arm to try me on Prempak C to just see if it makes a difference and within three days am bleeding heavily feel quite sick and really tired.  Im on the verge of paying to see a private gynae as I know my symptoms are totally hormonal and feel I need their expertise! Do any of you clever ladies have any suggestions for me at all please?? Your expert advice will be very gratefully received. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any suggestions gratefully received!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »

:hug:  You shouldn't have to pay.  Ring your Surgery this afternoon and ask for a referral to a Gynaecologist or a Menopause Clinic?  Your GP should learn to listen to you.  Is there a Practice Nurse you could talk to instead of this particular GP?

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay to get the help you need but how long are you prepared to wait?  Prempak C is not the best type of HRT available and if you had to twist his arm to get that, it doesn't bode well.  You could try to get into a Menopause Clinic but it will probably be quite a wait. 

If you can afford it I would recommend you visit Professor John Studd in London.  He is the best when it comes to all things hormonal and he has changed the lives of so many women on this forum, myself included.  He will write a letter to your doctor with his recommended prescription if that helps. 

I am on the Oestrogel/Utrogestan regime and it is brilliant.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »

Will the GP who seems in this case anti-listening to patients, take any notice though  :-\

Another thing to think of is over-all dryness: deep in the ears, skin, vagina - as the skin thins it can become itchy, for me it was like having razor blades high up in the vagina - GP gave me localised HRT which has so far, worked!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:16:55 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »

Hi mumsmoneytree - welcome to the forum.

There are other types of HRT to try if Prempak doesn't suit you. As has been said this is an older type of HRT. I would go back to your GP and ask to be changed to a different regime. Have a good look around this site for advice and information, either from the drop down menu at the top of the screen, or from our posts by using the search button in the blue bar top left of the screen. It is very difficult when you first begin the search for the right HRT so don't worry if you are feeling a bit overwhelmed. It's advised that you try each one for at least three months before you can be sure as to whether it suits you or not. If you can afford it than a private consultation is really helpful.

When did you last have a period and what other menopause symptoms are you getting?

Taz x   :welcomemm:

Freckles

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »

I had a 12 year old patronising female GP, who when I went to request a higher dose of oestrogen as I knew my symptoms were due to low levels, said "we like to wean ladies your age off HRT" (I'm only 55!) and that liquid anti-depressants were their preferred treatment option for all menopausal symptoms.
I knew my symptoms were hormonally related and I (personally) am not a fan of AD's and didn't want to spend the last third of my life feeling so awful. 
Cleary my GP practice wasn't going to help and I didn't want to wait months for a referral to a menopause clinic.
Long story short, I did a lot of research on HRT, and after looking at various reviews ( e.g. the Gluck clinic, etc) decided to see Prof. Studd.  I've been on the same regime as Mary G  for only 2 months and feel so much better, more so than I have for years.  I'm far from rich but it was worth every penny to get my mental and physical health back! I got my blood tests done in advance on the NHS, which saved a lot of money at Studd's clinic (I was right; I had virtually no oestrogen despite being on Femoston 1/10). I also get my HRT as recommended by Studd in his letter to my GP  on the NHS too. 
I fully agree with Mary G- Studd's regime really has changed my life for the better. 
Something to consider anyway?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »

Hi mumsmoneytree  :welcomemm: from me too.

Which type of CCP were you on? It is surprising that it stopped working as it's a very high dose of oestrogen and should control your cycle. Was it the type that had a week off taking nothing?  It is now recommended to be prescribed for women in their 40's who start to experience early menopausal symptoms for this reason.  However as you get nearer menopause the week off can cause more symptoms if your own oestrogen levels have fallen.

If you felt it suited you generally then why not ask to try a different type of Pill Qlaira - this is a newer one but only has 2 or 3 tablet free days and contains estradiol - the oestrogen that is the same as our own? There is information about it here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php (scroll down).

You really should not need to pay to go privately and if no joy I would definitely ask for a referral as suggested to menopause clinic if you can - but read up as much as you can as well.

Hurdity x

mumsmoneytree

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 09:49:56 AM »

Ladies thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I'm so grateful for your wisdom and experience in this horrible phase of life! I have been on the Prempak C for four days now and feel very foggy brained and hot. I feel that the Loestrin BCP was not enough of what I needed and the week of no pills was taking its toll yet the Prempak C is too much Estrogen and without the progesterone part is making me feel very foggy brained!  Like I said it was so hard to get the doctor to swap me to HRT I thought I would take it and try as a starting point.  There was no option or discussion on what options were available as I really think my Dr doesn't have a clue about Perimenopause. He just said I didn't need anything as the blood test was normal! 
I am lucky enough to have private medical insurance so, after giving the Prempak at least one month I will get a referral to someone who understands hormones a bit better. 
The BCP Qlaira with the shorter break looks quite promising I will read up on that a bit further.
Thank you ladies for making me feel very welcome and I promise when I get my hormones in check I will join you in advising the poor ladies who come here for help and advice!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »

Keep in touch!

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »

Just to add that lack of progesterone does not make you foggy headed! It is often progesterone that does this as it is a sedative but does the foggy thing in large doses for some women. If you are feeling foggy without HRT then it is lack of oestrogen more likely. Also sudden increases in oestrogen or progestogens can cause side effects and headaches - but the side effects from increasing oestrogen artificially ( ie exogenously - from outside) usually settle, whearas with progestogens they may not,  and can have a cumulative negative effect.

Prempak is a very strong type of HRT and as Taz says it is old-fashioned. It is also made from horse oestrogens (made from their urine to be precise) - so is not bio-identical to our own - all the other types are estradiol the same as made in our ovaries.

I am sure you will feel better on a different HRT especially after giving it time to settle - good luck! :)

Hurdity x