Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Am I post meno?  (Read 3467 times)

Stella1

Am I post meno?
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »

Hi. Hope someone can help here. I'm 50 and haven't had a period for about 6 years, however.... I have taken contraceptives for most of my adult life, and when I went onto Loestrin my doctor said I would probably not have periods (which I didn't). Just before I turned 50 the family planning nurse said that I shouldn't take Loestrin any more and I switched to Depo-Provera injections (still no periods). When I next saw my doctor she didn't understand why I was put on a progesterone only contraceptive at my age & I stopped altogether in Feb this year (no period since stopping). I am now hoping to start HRT but I'm not sure whether my periods have actually stopped naturally or simply because of the contraceptives I was taking. Anyone got any experience / advice?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Am I post meno?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »

:welcomemm:  can't help as don't understand HRT but am sure someone will be along soon.  How do you feel otherwise?

wombat62

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 01:25:04 PM »

Hi

I was in a similar situation, came off all contraceptives and started low dose HRT. I think it was around 18 months later....a period! Had all the pre stuff, boobs, cramps etc but because they had said I was post from blood tests all hell let lose! After all the tests it was completely normal but lots of worry for me! I was around 50ish at the time.

So, don't be surprised that once you've got one lot of stuff out your system after a while things might have their last fling!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »

Stella1 - welcome to MM
I would ask your GP to do some blood tests - though blood tests can be unreliable when looking at hormones - because hormones will fluctuate - it can give a broader picture of what is going on.  If you want to start HRT then I would still start a sequential HRT regime as it can be a good way to determine if the progesterone suits you. The sequi HRTs will result in a withdrawal bleed each month but this is often better than using progesterone all the time.  As you have already been on a progesterone only contraceptive you may well do fine on the synthetic progesterones in HRT so you should be fine.
Are you getting menopause symptoms e.g. flushes?  DG x

Stella1

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »

:( I'm going on HRT for low mood / anxiety, lack of libido, vaginal dryness, constant tiredness & forgetfulness. Don't much fancy having periods return after starting HRT - is that usual?

Stella1

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:40:41 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl, that's helpful. I wake up every night hot & sweaty (even through Winter) but don't have flushes during the day.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »

Stella! - Many of us prefer to put up with monthly bleeds as we find using progesterone all the time isn't good.  You could have a Mirena fitted and then just use oestrogen as gel or patch - this can be a great option as you won't get any bleeds after the first few weeks and you can then use as little or as much oestrogen as you need to keep things on an even keel. If you want to try pills first, then I'd try Femoston 1/10.  Definitely ask for some local oestrogen (Vagifem) to help with the vaginal dryness.  Using vaginal moisturisers is also a good idea. DG x

Stella1

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »

:) Thanks for the advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »

We have several threads about vaginal dryness/atrophy  >:(   ::) - which can be treated locally with Vagifem or Ovestin1mg inserted …….

Stella1

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »

Started on Elleste Duet conti today. Will let you know how I get on!

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »

It might be worth asking your GP about a bone density scan.

The reason why they should not offer the contraceptive injection to older women is that there is some evidence that long term use may reduce bone density, temporarily. So it not the best choice over 50.

It probably has not done anything in a short time but it might be worth having some sort of baseline assessment for the future and just to make sure.

Read page 18 of this http://www.fsrh.org/documents/cec-ceu-guidance-womenover40-jul-2010/

Suzi Q

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 01:35:09 PM »

Sorry ikn about hrt but under 50 one year nothing over 50 2 years
Or the other way around i forgot god im A great help not  xxxx