Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post hyster complications  (Read 2396 times)

charliegirl

Post hyster complications
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »

Hi all,  a few of you will know I had a hysterectomy 10 weeks ago. Am feeling ok but major constipation problems. Tried water and and laxatives, no good. Does anyone have any suggestions please as I look 6 months
 pregnant😧

Ju Ju

Re: Post hyster complications
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »

Sorry charliegirl, I don't know your history, but is the constipation a new symptom since your hysterectomy? Or did you have have problems before? Have you had a follow up appointment with your consultant yet? Is the problem hard stools or lack of frequency or both? Whatever, worth discussing with your GP and consultant.

I had my hysterectomy over 6 months ago, along with a back wall repair. I do have IBS mainly c anyway, but does swing the other way. I was having new symptoms which were attributed to the prolapse, but the problems have continued since the op. I've been told it does take time for your organs to settle down.

Just had a MRI of the pelvic floor to see how my pelvic floor is performing. (Lovely, not!) I was referred following an appointment with a registrar on the team of the consultant. My private gynaecologist laughed and said it was a waste of money and that what was wrong was very low levels of oestrogen. Either way, no harm in things being checked. I have problems with incomplete evacuation, which was worse in the early days, due to not being able to strain and the fear of doing some damage.

I do help myself by using 2 sachets of fibogel daily, as per instructions from the 'bowel' consultant and include ground flaxseed/linseed, prunes, green veg and other fibre in my diet. I'm intolerant of wheat, so can't get fibre that way. I make sure I drink plenty of water and mint tea, my 2 staples. It does make thing flow better. I also try to keep stress down and keep calm and have done a lot of work on self esteem etc. Walking, as with all kinds of exercise, really  helps, so note to self do more!! Currently jet lagged and that doesn't help.

And don't stress about it! I tell myself it is as it is and get on with it. My digestive system is doing its best, despite whatever is thrown at it! After all I'm still here!

wombat62

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »

Hi

Sorry to hear you're have problems after your op. After anaesthetic it can take a while for your system to restart, so maybe yours is taking its time.

Rather than laxative have you tried some thing like Movicol which draws water into the bowel to make it easier to pass? My doc said you should start this immediately after an op rather than wait to go by yourself. Part of my stomach ache after my op was down to not going to the loo, felt so much better once things got moving!

You could also try a good probiotic as if they gave you anti-biotics that can mess up your system as well. Use a high strength one and the ones you have to keep in the fridge. I tried Yakult at first but a friend advised the tablets and I have to say things settled down pretty quickly after that.

I'm 2 months post gallbladder op bit it's taken a few weeks to get back to normal(ish!) as any change of routine and my system goes on strike! Lots of water, fibre and exercise and hope it sorts itself out soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 05:23:20 PM »

I wasn't allowed out of Hospital until I had passed a stool, however, as I hadn't eaten for 5 days I was unlikely to pooh between then and Christmas  ::)

Trufflecat

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »

I would suggest movicol, or fybogel plus senna to get things moving

charliegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »

Wow, thats great advice, its been since I had hysterectomy JuJu. I will definately try the suggestions. Thank,you all so much.xx

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:42:06 PM »

Hi charliegirl - it can take the bowel a long time to settle after a hyster. Sometimes it falls awkwardly into the space left by the removal of the uterus and this can cause problems for a while.

Taz x

charliegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 10:25:24 AM »

Thanks Taz, thought you would have some good advice also.😀

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 01:54:10 PM »

I would ring the Consultant for advice  ;)