Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estrogen levels blood test  (Read 2707 times)

Jaz

Estrogen levels blood test
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:47:04 PM »

Hi All
I am due to have results for Estrogen levels from blood test. I have started Evorel patches 75  in last few months after changing from Elleste solo 3mg tablets. I've been told the test can tell me how well my body is absorbing the patches.
Does anyone know what the spectrum between high and low levels are and what this is measured in?  My GP practice in not very well informed and feel I need to ask the right questions as my symtoms are still around mostly in the form of palpitations in the morning and flashes in the night.
Any information or experiences of this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jaz

Hurdity

Re: Estrogen levels blood test
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »

Hi Jaz

The GP ref range is here:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=570818627

Also Wikipedia has some good info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estradiol scroll down for table with ref range.

In UK it's usually measured in pmol/l, but in US and maybe Aus/NZ in pg/ml

One test won't tell you an awful lot and also depends when in your cycle the test was taken.

Do let us know your results anyway :)

Hurdity x

Jaz

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 07:42:09 PM »

Thanks Hurdity
I had a sub total hysterectomy so no periods to affect cycles, don't know if this makes a difference to results.  I had the operation in 2008, kept my ovaries and meno kicked in five years later during a very stressful year.
Will keep you posted with results.
Kam X

Jaz

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 03:16:29 PM »

Hi Again
My results are 115 pmol/l I heard we should be aiming for optimum levels if possible. Anyway what do you think given I am on Evorel patches 75

warwick01

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »

Hi Jaz,

That is a very low level for someone on HRT (3mg or 75 patch) mine was 269 last tested on 3/4 pumps of gel. I'm sure the feel good level is supposed to be above 300 but as Hurdity says it's about finding your sweet spot!

Best to go with symptoms etc......

Wx

Jaz

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

Hi Warwick
Do you know what your levels were before you went on HRT?
 This is the first time I have had a test, when I first started to take tablet form I felt a huge improvement within 2-3 weeks but haven't  felt the effects much with patches, although, was told to give it three months. I started off on 50 patch first and then went onto  75 patch a month ago and still feeling symtoms.
Jazz X

warwick01

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 06:34:41 AM »

Hi Jaz,

Only had bloods taken whilst on HRT. Not sure if at the time I was absorbing the Oestrogel. Some people find they have better results with tablets due to problems with absorption. Although patches and gel are known to be safer.

How old are you ?? I guess you must be post menopause with low results?

Wx

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 07:26:35 AM »

Hi Jaz

I agree that is a very low level especially on that dose of patches. Sounds like you are not absorbing through the skin. Where do you apply the patches and are there any products on your skin where you apply it? I use Estradot patches and have found them to be brilliant - although I have only ever used 50 mcg but last time my levels were measured they were over 200 p mol/l which is fine (but not for everyone!). I would firstly change your type of patch if you know you are applying it properly and then if that doesn't help then either go back to tablets or try gel and see if your flushes disappear - that is the ultimate test really (rather than a blood test) - if your symptoms are still there then the dose (that you are getting) is insufficient. I can see that it is important in your case to find out your levels because you are on quite a high patch dose.

Hurdity x

Jaz

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »

Hi Huedity & W
I am 54 yrs old & never had symtoms pre hysterectomy (2008) but was fine fir 5 years when ovaries still functioning which I was told would eventually stop.

My main symtoms are anxiety and palpitations I can live with sweats on their own.  I was told  Evorel patches were exactly the same as  Elleste solo tablets (but just in different form). I was on high dosage of 3mg.

I put the patches on the top of my bum and they stay on well and don't wear products there. It would be great to stay with them if effective. I was told.. have to start on low doseage first which was 50 mcg.

Questions I have?

What is Estradot patches? Are they just a different brand. I'm reluctant to change the type, if what I am taking was exactly the same as tablets as they suited me. Could I increase my dose by cutting another patch? as I have some 50 mcg left I tried first.

I have also heard magnesium supplements between 200-300 mg are effective for anxiety and wondering weather to also add to my diet and B complex.

Thought I had it sorted with tablets but symtoms started to come back after 2 years of great results.
I can only guess my ovaries have completely packed in and Estrogen levels have gone down.
Never tried gel but wondering if patches aren't absorbing why would gel be any better,  although am I right in thinking women on this forum have experience this.

Much appreciate your expertise & knowlede it's such a mind field
Thanks
Jaz xx