Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: First doctors appointment to discuss menopause; What must I ask?  (Read 2563 times)

pickle

Hi, as it takes so long to get an appointment, I am concerned that I miss vital questions. Its my first time discussing menopause {which I believe I have started } .

The last thing I want to do is miss something really important. I have never been to this doctors , so no idea who will be greeting me.

Any help would be so appreciated.
Thankyou 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: First doctors appointment to discuss menopause; What must I ask?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »

:welcomemm:

What is prompting the visit to talk to your GP?

So write down when you last period was, what symptoms you have had [which might not include hot flushes  ::)]; keeping a food/mood/cycle diary can give you an idea as to how you are throughout the month, it's easy to forget when we feel 'better'  ::).

My symptoms have varied.  Itchy insteps at the end of the day.  Sort of flushes across the back of my shoulders after my bath ……… but no real hot flushes.

If possible make a double appt. with either your GP or Practice Nurse.  Let us know how you get on!  Some GPs push anti-depressant (ADs) medication but if you aren't depressed, don't feel pressurised!

Browse round.  Make notes  ;)

pickle

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »

Thank you so much for answering. I decided to visit my gp, as  my periods have gone from being regular as clockwork to months apart. My last being in December.

I am not having flushes , joints are achey,  lower back hurting .is  it a one treatment fits all i am so confused . I am not depressed..

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:07:22 PM »

Hi Pickle, welcome to the forum!

It is most certainly not one treatment fits all, boy are we all different! I don't know whether you have investigated the forum but if not maybe scroll through the different subjects being discussed especially any that are relevant to you and what you're experiencing.

Perimenopause is different for all of us, some women skip through whilst others have a really bad time. If you're feeling well, are happy and managing ok, there may not be a need to see a GP. If however you feel you'd like to discuss the fact that things are changing for you, by all means go. Do what's right for you and don't feel pressurised to follow any particular path because it suits or is necessary for someone else.

Some women opt for HRT, others don't, some can't take it, some don't need to. If you haven't had a period for 6 months and haven't had any problematical symptoms of peri, you may be someone who sails through easily. My mother's periods stopped very suddenly, with 2/3 hot flushes at the age of 45. Job done!! This was certainly not my experience!

I don't know your age or any details but HRT does benefit some women who have a very early menopause, helping to protect their health in later years.

If you've booked an appointment with your GP, why don't you sit down and as CLKD suggested, jot down everything that you are experiencing
and any questions you may wish to ask.

All good wishes to you, hope you sail through with no problems! 

pickle

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »

thank youelizabeth, i have read through most threads on here. There just seems so much info i guess i just got so confused. I am 52 .My mother just stopped having periods and that was it no hot flushes or anything else.

I will write a list of all my aches and pains. thankyou again .

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »

We are apparently often like our mothers, with similar peri/meno experiences. (I really wish I had been!). Hopefully you're going to be similar to yours.

I started taking a bone and joint supplement a few months ago because I had achey joints particularly in my hands. There has definitely been an improvement, though who knows, could be coincidental! I'm 57 now, late stage peri, and I'm sure a few extra vitamins and minerals aren't going to go amiss whatever the case.

You're right about the amount of info on here, it pretty much blows your mind. It just goes to show how different all of us women are. I only discovered this site a few months ago and am amazed at what a supportive and caring base it can provide. Wish I'd found it sooner.

I wish you well.

pickle

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »

ah thank you.. i had extra supplements on my list [again there are so many out there] . I am deffo  going to try the  magnesium spray i read about on here. Anything to get a better nights sleep.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »

Hi pickle

:welcomemm:

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »

Apparently as oestrogen levels drop muscles become lax = aches and pains  ::)