Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mirena-not sure how much longer I can do this?  (Read 3219 times)

Chi chi

Mirena-not sure how much longer I can do this?
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:19:03 AM »

It's been nearly 10 weeks since having the Mirena inserted. My headaches seem to be MUCH worse with pain radiating from the back of my neck right over and round to my temples! I'm sure this is hormonal as my sister was explaining the headaches she gets when she comes off her pill and they're exactly the same! Sickness and dizziness, with weird sensations almost like I imagine an aura and lasting for days!
I also feel my mood is slowly plummeting, sex drive has vanished, again! And I keep feeling very jittery and anxious much worse than usual. Things just feel different than what I'm used to  :-\
I had a short run of feeling ok but all of a sudden last Monday afternoon my mood suddenly dropped for no reason?? And it's been like it ever since with impending doom and sometimes anxiety that makes me feel completely out of my own skin! It's really nasty  :-\
I feel very shaky and nauseous a lot of the time with a horrible heavy fuzzy muddled head. It's like my head is going at 100mph and I can't focus on anything  :-\
I'm still bleeding although it's finally lighter but it's still there and sorry if this is a bit graphic but things have got a bit smelly down there too  :-\

I'm so tempted to just sack all the hormones off and see what my body does on its own but I'd really like to try the testim on its own as I feel this is the only thing that has helped!

I'm currently on 3 pumps of estrogel and a tube of testim per week, plus the Mirena  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena-not sure how much longer I can do this?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »

:bighug:

elsie001

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »

Sorry to hear you are suffering Chi Chi - if you do a search for mirena & headaches, you'll find I posted exactly the same thing oh, about 2 months ago?  Like you, I was seriously considering ripping the thing out myself! :o

I think with me, migraines are my weak point - when I started on new tablets to treat my rh. arthritis, I got horrendous headaches as my body tried to fight them, I persevered though, and they died down.  I think it's the same with the coil - for me anyway.

I still get a 2-3 day headache once a month (definitely hormonal), but it's a big improvement on before when it was one full week of headaches, followed by good week, then another full week of headaches....complete with aura & nausea.

You have my full sympathy.  I'm glad I persevered and will keep going with my coil.  Main advantage of coil for me being my much improved quality of sleep & only spotting compared to the flooding I had before.  Main disadvantages - occasional headaches and even greasier hair than before (oh, and the odd teenage-style pimple on my chin! :().

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »

I'm sorry to hear all this. In my experience with the Mirena, years before any meno concerns, the headaches and hormonal effects didn't come on that quickly. It seemed to be more cumulative, as it was great initially then after about a year I started having heaches and later migraine auras. But all that you describe sounds like my meno issues, brought on by either fluctuating hormones or low estrogen, who knows?  Are all of these symptoms new for you or could it be the same meno problems flaring up in spite of the mirena and estrogel? I can't recall your story and how long you've been dealing with all this.

elsie001

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »

Lizab, my headaches didn't start until after I'd had the mirena for 7-8 months, so definitely a cumulative effect for me too.

Chi chi

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:47:46 PM »

I normally suffer with headaches but recently they're very different, more painful and intense and longer lasting.
I had the Mirena for the prog part of HRT, I tried utrogestan and provera, I didn't get on well with either of them and I'm told I'm prog intolerant  :-\ but as I'm using estrogel I have to have some form of prog  ::) I was told the side effects would be very minimal as its local and doesn't circulate around the body?? Hmm?

Lizab

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »

Yes, that's what I was told too. And when I complained, the gyne told me it was impossible that the Mirena was causing it because it was local. Then my thyroid started to fail, and the endocrinologist told me it was impossible that the mirena was having any part. I insisted on its removal and my headaches and morning sickness disappeared quickly and some stubborn extra weight fell off.  When I began having peri bleeding issues, with a new gyne, she wouldn't prescribe any progesterone to control the bleeding because I had told her my history with Mirena, and further, she speculated that it contributed to my thyroid failure, upsetting my entire hormone balance. She said some people are ultra-sensitive to hormones. Even though it's local it's not like your uterus is isolated from the rest of the body.

I am doing well with the progesterone so far, thank heavens. Did you ever try the Utro vaginally? From what I understand you can get by with a lesser dose and possibly fewer days since it is applied locally. If you're having odor that's certainly reason enough to return to the doctor and complain. I could see them wanting you to wait out other side effects but that part could be serious and then you have a chance to voice your other concerns.

Chi chi

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »

I tried the utro vaginally and it was slightly better than having it orally, it just seemed to take days/weeks to leave my system and my mood etc to improve so it felt like I was constantly taking it or putting up with the after effects.
What prog are you now using if you don't mind me asking?
I've also noticed that along with the odour I seem to be leaking what looks like very very watery blood/urine but I know it's not urine as it's not from the right place  ??? Very odd sensation, I've not experienced it before.
I really can't understand how the prog doesn't get into our system and move around as like you say it's not isolated.

Chi chi

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:12:33 PM »

Just found this on the web, I have no clue how small picograms are but for some it may be enough to cause problems if intolerant??

The silicone-Levonorgestrel based elastomer core on the stem of the Mirena IUD contains a total amount of 52 mg of Levonorgestrel.
From this storehouse, LNG is released at the rate of 20 micrograms per day.
Local action nevertheless, Levonorgestrel is absorbed systemically into the blood stream which results in a circulating level of 150 to 200 picograms.

Lizab

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »

I'm on Prometrium  (Utrogestan). I think 10 weeks in that watery blood tainted discharge warrants a check up. Did you already have a followup since the insertion? It's been so long I can't remember at how many weeks after I had to have a follow up exam to be sure everything was good in there. I know by 3 months, which you are fast approaching, I had no vaginal issues with it at all.

Chi chi

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:52 PM »

I went for the check up at 6 weeks as recommended, they said everything was fine. I mentioned about the headaches but was brushed off  ::) the lady wasn't very sympathetic, proper old school matron type! made me feel like a little girl complaining  ???