Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Has anyone seen Sovra Whitcroft?  (Read 5541 times)

Noheroicsplease

Has anyone seen Sovra Whitcroft?
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »

While I have a lovely GP, who seems to support whatever I want to do - have testosterone, for example - she doesn't know much about HRT.

I'm having issues with the mirena coil still - nearly 6 months on, still bleeding, and now handfuls of hair coming out some days, and I'm at a loss as to know whether to keep waiting or stop. Take it out. I have fantasies I'll be able to go HRT free - I am mostly on it as I'm young, have osteopenia and strong family history of osteoporosis.

But if I come off the mirena, will another progesterone be even worse? These are the questions that plague me

Anyway, I'm thinking of seeing a consultant for an opinion. Has anyone seen Sovra Whitcroft? A recommendation would be great. I'm based in Brighton.

Ju Ju

Re: Has anyone seen Sovra Whitcroft?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »

I see her. She was recommended by my GP as she had worked with her several years ago and thought highly of her. She is lovely and has made a huge difference to the quality of my life. All the best with your appointment.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »

I haven't heard of her but just to say re you fears about another progestogen? I can't remember what you have tried - but what are your fears? Is this to do with your hair or ongoing bleeding?

If your uterus lining is checked and all is well (it may still be shedding/settling due to the Mirena) then you might well benefit from using progestogens cyclically and if you use progesterone (Utrogestan) like many of us do then this should not have the same effect on hair (loss).

Anyway if you decide to go ahead with your appointment do hope it goes well :) - but ideally you should be able to decide on a change of HRT without a private consultation  - unless you are hoping for testosterone and neither your local practice nor NHS meno clinic will prescribe it.

Hurdity x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »

Hi Hurdity * waves *

Thanks for replying. My fears are that another progesterone will produce other symptoms. I guess I'm scared. I would like to try utrogestan but vaginally, and a low dosage...my doctor is great but she would never be able to guide me on this. Hence, seeing a consultant. She said I'd have a lonnnnnnng wait on the NHS.

I've decided to up my iron considerably for three weeks, to see if it's low ferritin causing hair loss or the mirena. I;ve got the scan next week, so that will give me results.

I just feel so confused, I guess, and overwhelmed at all the options. My doctor will def give me testosterone - she's agreed it - but she wants to get the progesterone right first of all.

I've also asked for a repeat bone density scan-last did two years ago - to see how that is now. if it's the same, i'll feel a bit better about all this. I do not want to end up like my mum who has appalling osteoporosis

It's such a minefield.

Thanks for advice, as always x