Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dry mouth/difficulty swallowing  (Read 13947 times)

Annidav

Dry mouth/difficulty swallowing
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:57:18 PM »

Hi - has anyone experienced dry mouth and or difficulty swallowing? I have noticed this recently and it is a feeling that I can't swallow. I had a very scary experience last Sunday when we were eating out - I tried to swallow a piece of gammon but it got stuck in my throat and I could actually feel that my throat was seriously blocked and I was panicking and made such an awful noise that the rest of my family suddenly stopped eating and looked at me in absolute horror! After what felt like an age I managed to somehow dislodge it but it really scared me and hubby and kids; I have had a few instances where my throat feels "closed" recently but not as bad as last Sunday; I have since discovered that this too can be a symptom of menopause.

Cazikins

Re: Dry mouth/difficulty swallowing
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:19:27 PM »

Sounds a scary incident Annidav.
I have something similar when I go to bed, it's like a tightening sensation around my throat - almost like I have a scarf is wrapped too tight but no choking, very odd.

The only thing I would say is I'm not sure that this is a symptom of the menopause. This isn't to frighten you in anyway, but it is veryl too easy to blame things on the meno.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »

Well I've had a worrying few moments  :o.  A few weeks ago when eating home made curry I found that something: rice or the chicken mix : stuck in my gullet ...... earlier it stuck a lot so much so that I was forced to sit by the loo and eventually a big cough and sips of water shifted what ever it was.  Note to self: eat slower  :-\ and have a drink between mouthfuls of curry  :-X.

Mum has had a glass of water when eating for years.  Surely this can't be another meno problem!?!  What ever stuck was at the gag reflex area  :-\

Zara69

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »

I used to almost choke in the night ...wake up with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth, feeling like my throat was shut.  Since starting hrt patches it's stopped happening.   

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »

I thought it was going to be a visit to Hospital for a while  :-\ ....... until the big cough and what ever seemed to shift. 

Zara69

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »

I also have a dry vagina...all mucous membranes ...so my theory is if you have a dry throat watch out for that burning vagina!  As a young person I could never take those cold cure tablets that dried up your nose cos they dried up everywhere and gave me a feeling of cystitis!

Mbrown001

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »

The lump in the throat feeling can be down to a digestion issue.

I've wakened up during the night occasionally feeling that I just can't swallow at all. It's the most horrible sensation and it took quite a lot of water to fix. I always have a glass of water at the side of my bed now.

Not all that sure it's meno related as hubby gets this to.

Mrs Brown

Zara69

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 06:57:39 PM »

Hello Sparkle.  I have only been on evorel sequi patches for 6 weeks.  I had to see 3 different GPs before they would prescribe...literally begged for it for lots of symptoms.  Out of date GP made me choose between systemic or topical oestrogen 🙄...I have had an ablation and I have migraine with aura so she was hesitant to allow it.   So far so good...many problems gone or lessened...including migraine I haven't had any headache at all which is unheard of for me (amazing).  My burning vagina persisted and I know hrt takes time to work...I went back after 1 month still complaining and asking for vagifem...she still refused ...I questioned her decision...what was it based on? Personal feeling? Science? What? So she told me to try and wait another month for the patches to kick in.   So 2 weeks after that...so 6 weeks in and the patches are working (not completely) I will do as she asks and hang on 2 more weeks but if I'm not comfy I will go back and get what I need!  I have the MM magazine and I will give it to her! I will say that I think it has got worse before it got any better...shocking burning and shedding of I assume old skin cells etc.  When I think about it I had no discharge of any sort for a good year! Which is lovely and clean, but not right is it?!  Sorry very long winded but is it helping?  Yes....slowly!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »

:-\ ...... wrong thread ? ! ?

and who is Mel?  :-\

I choked on a strawberry earlier  :-\

DaisyB

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »

Fiftygirl - Been there - got the t- shirt - I had speech and language 12 weeks of the bloody sessions - half of which I paid privately for - made no flipping difference.  It was one of my first symptoms - strangling feeling and lump in throat feeling. Camera up nose and into vocal chords. Small nodule that was prob there for years (shingles in my mouth and throat way back) so I knew it wasn't that causing it. But they wouldn't listen >:( camera then down twice into stomach as they thought GERD causing it. Didn't resolve after meds just helped acid reflux. Xmas 2015 dry mouth came and I had to get medication it was so bad. On/off since then. All related in my case and def has eased  - sorry for not reading back but was thyroid tested??
My mum has to get dry food down with water - they can't give her explanation but I seem to remember something about the throat and swallow reflex linked to thyroid??
I even had minor surgery to vocal chords to alleviate - it didn't do a thing for me!!

DaisyB xx

DaisyB

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »

:rofl:

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »

Did U find the thread  ;D

Were you watching Mel and Kim on TV perhaps  ;)

Jenna

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:09 PM »

I think Mel could have changed her name, Sparkle! I don't think you were mistaken.  :)

Mbrown001

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Friday meno madness strikes again.

:rofl:

Are you still in the dark room sparkle  ;D

Mrs Brown

Zara69

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »

Sorry sparkle you are perfectly sane and not going mad...I have changed my name as I'm not very subtle and that was my real name....I have just lately recommended this sight to so many ladies and if I'm going to talk about my lady garden I suppose I shouldn't want to be recognised! Oh well...maybe too late !😂
Pages: [1] 2