Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scared newbie -postmenopausal bleed and sore breasts  (Read 13070 times)

nickitee

Scared newbie -postmenopausal bleed and sore breasts
« on: June 09, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »

I'm 45 and according to blood tests was postmenopausal at 41. My last period was over 5 years ago. About a week ago my nipples felt sore which I put down to having puppies who seem to leap on my boobs every time I sit down. Then on Sunday I started bleeding and have carried on doing so with lots of period type pain and backache. I saw my GP yesterday and had an internal examination. There are no polyps so I've been referred to hospital. I'm hoping it's an oestrogen upsurge but obviously I'm concerned about the dreaded C word, although I'm not sure that sore boobs go hand in hand with womb cancer ... I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone else has experienced sore boobs and postmenopausal bleeding and what they were eventually diagnosed with? Thanks for reading.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Scared newbie -postmenopausal bleed and sore breasts
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »

Oh puppies ……… we have a 'breed of dog' thread here, do tell  ;)

Your GP is doing the correct thing in sending you for investigations, any lady who has a bleed after nothing for 12+ months needs investigation, in case.  Did your GP mention a womb scan?

I expect that the sore breasts followed by a bleed is a hormone surge and once you've had the investigations you will know if any treatment is required.   :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM nickitee
Good you are getting the bleeding investigated - peace of mind is important.  Maybe your ovaries are having a final gasp??  It's possible.
If you were diagnosed as post meno at 41 then why aren't you on HRT?  OR are you?
Oestrogen deficient before the natural menopause age of between 50-54 can cause long term problems with heart a bones so it is advised that HRT its used until at least 50. I do hope your GP discussed this with you?
If you are on HRT, what type are you using?  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:52:13 PM »

Hi nickitee

Taz x  :welcomemm:

nickitee

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »

Hi ladies. Thanks for your replies and welcomes!  :thankyou: I'm not on HRT as I didn't get on with it when I first tried taking it and I couldn't bear the thought of more periods. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and various other associated problems and am on a concoction of medication (currently 32 pills a day plus pain meds every 2 hours). I decided that my body really didn't need any more drugs being pumped into it. With hindsight this may not have been the best decision. I've always had horribly long and heavy periods lasting a minimum of 10 days and normally about 3 weeks. Needless to say they were very irregular. I also had terrible debilitating migraines so the thought of all that coming back again with HRT really did put me off and my doctor seemed ok with it. I have a hospital appointment next week so fingers crossed I will find out what's going on. This is day 6 of bleeding and I really hope it's my ovaries having a last little party!  :ola:  I an ridiculously scared though  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 07:50:13 AM »

Hi nickitee - gosh you have had it tough - my sympathies  :hug: Hopefully you will get some reassurance and answers soon.  Keep us posted.  DG xxx

jacqui

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 03:46:42 PM »

Hi nickitee,

I am going though a very similar experience as you at the moment, i cant tell you outcome because i dont know myself yet but like you im sure, because of the symptoms we are having with the bleed that its likely to be a hormone surge of some type.

Im 55 and had my last period about 18 months to 2 years ago. A few weeks ago i had really sore nipples, very greasy skin and i remember popping a few spots which i haven't done for years. Two weeks later i started to spot. It only lasted 2 days and wasnt much at all.
Now two weeks on ive had that sharp twinge in one ovary a few times which i used to get when i was ovulating, i do hope im not in for another bleed but i wouldn't be surprised.

From what ive read it seems quite common, i don't think blood tests can really confirm you are post because hormones can fluctuate for years.

I find doctors clueless when it comes to the menopause, my doctors only read the book  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »

Hi jacqui - welcome to MM.

I just want to say that even though you feel your spotting is hormonal it is really important to get it checked out due to your age and the fact that you have maybe gone two years without any bleeding. Please make an appointment - it's really not worth the risk :)

Taz x

jacqui

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 06:00:01 PM »

Hi jacqui - welcome to MM.

I just want to say that even though you feel your spotting is hormonal it is really important to get it checked out due to your age and the fact that you have maybe gone two years without any bleeding. Please make an appointment - it's really not worth the risk :)

Taz x

Thanks Taz

I am in the process of getting it checked out but my appointment hasn't come though yet.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »

That's ok then. Hope you didn't mind me saying...

Taz x  :D

Annemaria

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »

Hi fellow scared newbie. I'm going through exactly the same issues as you described. I'm waiting for appt. as well.
Wondering what I can expect?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »

Make a list of your symptoms to take with you.  Go through them with your Doctor/Practice Nurse to prioritise.  A lot of GPs think that hot flushes are the be all/end all of menopause but there are other symptoms without flushes!

I believe that there is medication to ease long bleeds?

kimmycoo36

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 04:52:09 PM »

Hi I am also going through the same thing...  I been on HRT for 12 years with 1 day bleeds from the HRT...  I came off it in April and I have bled 4 times since...  Doc did hormone bloods and they came back as Normal?????  They have never been normal in 12 years...  I am being sent for investigations and am a little worried now....

Let me know the outcome of yours sweet

Take Care

Kimberley xx

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »

Hi Kimberley - if you have had blood tests taken while still taking HRT then you would have got a "normal" result due to the hormones in the HRT? I think you have to be off HRT for at least four weeks before any blood tests can give a real picture of your hormonal state.

Taz x  :)

kimmycoo36

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »

Hi Kimberley - if you have had blood tests taken while still taking HRT then you would have got a "normal" result due to the hormones in the HRT? I think you have to be off HRT for at least four weeks before any blood tests can give a real picture of your hormonal state.

Taz x  :)

Hi Taz

I've been off HRT since April... So a good gap for the blood test to show results...  :-)

xx
Pages: [1] 2