Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bone ache  (Read 3412 times)

Cecelia

Bone ache
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »

Hello ladies,

My very first post a few weeks back now was regarding my severe bone and muscle ache. About a year ago I found getting out of bed was a real pain - literally. The pain and stiffness has since spread to my hip. If I have a full day it's really bad - feel about 90!. I wasn't until I found this forum that I realised It could be menopausal. I did get a very constructive response but have no idea how to retrieve my old post so cannot remember exactly what was suggested.

Basically - I'm 54, been on the contraceptive pill on and off since I was 18. About 5 years ago I had a polyp removed( I was also getting a little spotting between periods).  My gp put me on the mini pill desogestrel so I haven't had a period for 5 years. I'm sure the Dr told me at the time it would help mask the symptoms of the menopause but from what I've read that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have since realised since joining menopausal matters I also have other symptoms - very dry skin, brain fog, severe burning after intercourse - hasn't a clue that was called VA! About six months ago I was walking up with my clothes sticking to me - I honestly thought I had the flu! This seemed to ease off after a while - I now think they where hot flushes. My goodness I cannot believe how ignorant I've been.

One the advice of Hurdity - I'm sure it was, I went to the Dr.

Basically, because I have no idea when my menstrual cycle is, she wanted me to have a FSH blood test six weeks apart. She said if they both show I'm postmenopausal then I can carry on taking the mini pill for a year then Bob's your uncle over and done with. The thinking behind it was that I could have become menopausal only last week so by carrying on with the pill it will cover the year free period. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I've had my first FSH result ( 27.1) with a added comment that I was in the postmenopausal range. I know labs class results differently but I does not seem to correspond with what I've read. I have my second test later this month.

I think the main question I want to ask is, once I come off the mini pill in maybe a years time, because I will no longer be getting any progesterone from it,  could my symptoms really escalate?. Apart from my severe bone ache I seem to have got off lightly. I can cope with dry skin and VA as long as it stays as it is. Certainly don't like the brain fog!

Tbh I've been put off hrt after reading a lot of your posts, never realised it was so complicated- patches, gels, pumps, sounds very scary. Maybe it's only the ladies who are having trouble rather than ones that are benefiting who do most of the posting. Don't mean to sound negative, clearly I am not suffering like some of you ladies. Really think there should be more information out there on the menopause. My sister was just as ignorant as I was!

Think I've covered it!

babyjane

Re: Bone ache
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »

Here is the link to your previous post with the responses Cecelia

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30864.msg489589.html#msg489589

you really don't have to put up with things, certainly not vaginal atrophy, which can also affect the bladder making you feel as though you need to pass urine often. Vagifem is a very effective topical oestrogen pessary that delivers oestrogen directly to the tissues in and around the vagina. Ovestin does the same thing in cream form.  If you do a search you can find a lot of posts about this.  It is not something that ever reverses or goes away and often gets worse. 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:06:11 PM by babyjane »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:40:10 PM »

Why stop the Pill if it helps some symptoms?  That bus might be along in the morning  ;) Quality of Life, Girl, Quality of Life!

As oestrogen levels drop off apparently muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  It is important to protect bones by walking briskly several times a week, cooking as much from 'scratch' and if necessary, using pain relief medication.

Some ladies find Yoga useful.  Others do pilates.  Some swim ……. we have a thread on exercise/cycling here somewhere  ::)

Making sure that your foot wear is 'correct' is essential now.  The number of ladies I see walking in badly fitting sandals when they ought to be wearing proper shoes  ::) and if they have extra weight, bad posture wont' help their hips, knees, ankles.  Nor will aches and pains help with good sleep patterns!  I have to not go up and explain ……….  :-X

Get as much sunshine as possible as it eases stress levels by boosting VitD. 

You may like to use the 'search' button here to see if there are any topics that you need answers too.  Otherwise, ask!

clare663

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:40:15 AM »

Quick question if some one can answer - why isnt the pill prescribed as a form of HRT? is it not strong enough, too strong?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »

Depends on what symptoms a lady presents in the GP Surgery with?

Cecelia

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »

Have been thinking the same thing myself, no idea the mirena was a form of hurt until I joined mm. There should be no reason why I can't stay on the mini pill or go back into it if my symptoms increase. The impression my Dr gave was once I got to 55 I will be taken off it. The pharmacist at my surgery certainly think 's so and has taken me aside on number of occasions to advise me to come off it....as I'm really far too old!!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »

NOPE!  :bang: :bang: :bang:  as long as any possible ill effects have been explained and as long as the lady is prepared to accept those possibilities then a GP should continue to prescribe what ever keeps her upright.  After all, most medications have side effects particularly those given for cancer treatments but no one would stop those? or any other chronic illness medications.

Make a double appt. and discuss with your GP  ?  explain about the possibility of a bus running you over rather than dying from side effects, Quality of Life, Girl, Quality of Life  ;)

Chrislm

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:02:33 PM »

Just a thought Cecilia, but it is possible that you have too much progesterone for your oestrogen levels. The symptoms you describe sound to me like it could be the case.

I am an athlete and I am very aware of the impact of too much progesterone on my muscles and joints and I can relate to what you are describing.

Your vaginal symptoms and dry skin sound like low oestrogen.

Continuing to take progesterone only may not be the best thing for you perhaps