Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hot flashes?  (Read 3252 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Hot flashes?
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »

Yesterday I was just lying in bed and suddenly experienced an unpleasant sinking sensation in the pit of my stomach, followed by a surge of warmth through my torso, followed by a sudden chill and faster heart beat. Afterwards I felt trembly and upset. It lasted a maximum of 10-12 seconds.

I have had several similar 'hot flashes' today. I don't sweat at all, and my face doesn't go red.

Never experienced anything like this before.

Are they hot flashes, or more anxiety based?

coldethyl

Re: Hot flashes?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:25:48 PM »

Sounds like a hot flash to me. Mine are often preceded by or involve a huge adrenaline rush. I suffer from panic attacks and the two are very different feelings.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:34:50 PM »

Thanks coldethyl.

I wasn't sure whether it could be a panic/anxiety attack, but it's over very quickly, with that sudden warmth coming from nowhere.

How do yours differ from a panic attack?

zelda

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »

Sounds exactly like a hot flush.

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 10:26:01 AM »

Thanks coldethyl.

I wasn't sure whether it could be a panic/anxiety attack, but it's over very quickly, with that sudden warmth coming from nowhere.

How do yours differ from a panic attack?

I don't get that feeling of intense heat with a panic attack. And for me, the panic attacks are far more centred in my head - I just feel intense anxiety at the same time as being detached from my body. With a hot flush, I can get a bit anxious but I'm more aware that it is just a flush. Sometimes if I'm unlucky one will lead to another but usually they are very different things for me.

Kristy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »

Sounds like the start of hot flushes to me. For some women, hot flushes can be proceeded by an uncomfortable feeling or a sense that something is about to happen. The surge of warmth followed by the chill that you experienced sounds very much like it to me.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »

Hi GRL

I don't know what it is, but all I can say is I've had a couple recently. They are very unnerving and I had the trembling.

Think I even posted about them on here. I think suggested hormonal surges.

marras

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:18:02 PM »

Yep, sounds like the start of hot flushes to me. Usually begins with a feeling in the stomach and also a feeling of dread/foreboding/not feeling quite right. This can vary in intensity and is then followed by feeling very hot. Once you cool down, its over until the next time. So, no, not just feeling a bit hot, more like a whole body experience. Have had a lot of experience having had them for over 12 years! As someone once said, 'the menopause is a gift that just keeps on giving'!

Briony

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »

Sounds very much like what I get, though I rarely have the heat bit - it goes straight to the chills. The tummy feeling is weird, almost sickly, and then afterwards I feel really tired/light headed.

Didnt you wonder the other day if you were heading further into menopause? Perhaps this is a sign you are, if you've not had them before?