Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause advice  (Read 5234 times)

Curly

Perimenopause advice
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »

Hi, I've never posted on a site like this before, so please be gentle with me!

I'm 43 years old and have been told that I am going through the Perimenopause. My periods are all over the place, I've just finished a period. The one before that was three weeks ago and the one before that was 9 months ago!  Is this normal?
 I was  on antidepressants due to anxiety attacks and mild depression.  I have weened myself off these, as or the docs advice, but I'm still feeling very low, snappy and lack energy.   Can I request to go on HRT?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Curly x

Dancinggirl

Re: Perimenopause advice
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:22:16 AM »

Curly - welcome to MM
what you are describing sounds very typical for the peri meno stage.  The fluctuating hormones can play havoc with our moods etc as well.  If you are getting low on oestrogen then, at your age, HRT would be advisable to prevent problems with bones and heart in the long term as this is too early to be oestrogen deficient.
I would hotfoot back to your GP - try to find out which Gp at your surgery has an interest in treating the menopause, print off stuff from this site to discuss with them.  A blood test may show up high FSH and low oestrogen - though blood tests are notoriously unreliable and meno should be diagnosed from symptoms.  2-3 blood tests done over a few weeks may be better to get the full picture and if oestrogen is getting low then they should prescribe HRT.
Read up all the info on this site to get clued up. DG x

saffy123

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »

Just wanted to say Hello and to let you know I'm also a young member at 42. Still finding my way treatment wise, so I can't offer you   much info on that front. Although I have used Estrogel and that helped with anxiety. Really hope you have a helpful and clued up doctor. Do some searches here first and go in armed with some basic information. Not easy going through all this so young, so just wanted you to know you are not alone xx

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »

Hi, I'm another early starter, 41 now, started getting symptoms at 35.  I'd say HRT is a must at your age.  I'm on birth control pill which my GP recommends I stay on until I'm 50.  I'm also using Ovestin cream twice a week as the BCP on its own isn't enough to prevent vaginal issues.  Low energy, low mood and snappiness are all symptoms - HRT will hopefully help with these too!  I have to have a break from the BCP every 3 months & I dread it as I feel SO much worse then so it definitely makes a difference!

saffy123

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:46:19 PM »

Hi Dorothy, was just reading you are using BCP. I am really struggling with it, for me it causes even worse vaginal dryness and my bladder really has not appreciated the continuous progesterone :(. I am using femodette which is estrogen dominant (20mcg). Did you find it suited you straight off??, I am on the 7 day break at the mo and don't think I will continue with it. As a matter of interest which one are you using?? Sorry for all the questions. And I'm really glad you have found something that works for you and you can stay on long term :) that is sooo good xx

Curly

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »

Thank you saffy and Dorothy, will be calling the docs tomorrow x

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »

Hi Dorothy, was just reading you are using BCP. I am really struggling with it, for me it causes even worse vaginal dryness and my bladder really has not appreciated the continuous progesterone :(. I am using femodette which is estrogen dominant (20mcg). Did you find it suited you straight off??, I am on the 7 day break at the mo and don't think I will continue with it. As a matter of interest which one are you using?? Sorry for all the questions. And I'm really glad you have found something that works for you and you can stay on long term :) that is sooo good xx

I'm on Ovranette which is not supposed to be a very good one, but it works for me.  Every time I have a break, I get mild tummy upset for the first 48 hours or so back on it, but nothing compared to what I would be like not taking it!!!  It can take a couple of months to adjust to a new treatment though, and also, not everyone is successful on the first one they try.  If yours isn't helping, it might be worth asking to try a different one.  If you have an issue with vaginal dryness, it might be worth asking for something like Ovestin too - the BCP isn't sufficient to prevent vaginal problems on its own for me, I have to use the cream as well.

Briony

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »

I'm on Ovranette which is not supposed to be a very good one, but it works for me.  Every time I have a break, I get mild tummy upset for the first 48 hours or so back on it, but nothing compared to what I would be like not taking it!!!  It can take a couple of months to adjust to a new treatment though, and also, not everyone is successful on the first one they try.  If yours isn't helping, it might be worth asking to try a different one.  If you have an issue with vaginal dryness, it might be worth asking for something like Ovestin too - the BCP isn't sufficient to prevent vaginal problems on its own for me, I have to use the cream as well.

I am in the same situation and agree with all Dorothy says here. I tried a traditional pill but the synthetic estrogen was too much and I didnt like the 7 day break. Eventually settled with Qlaira as it has bio identical estrogen (less potent), only two pill-free days and a number of days with no progesterone or less than usual. Like Dorothy says, all pills need time to settle - 4 months at least in my case - and you can still have days when you can sense your own hormones battling away in the background, but I now know without the pill, I would be worse off. I am 44, started having problems at 39/40.

saffy123

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:18:15 PM »

Thank you Dorothy and Briony, Perhaps I need to look into the different types before I dismiss totally...I'm not very patient either, I must learn to give things a chance to work xx

Freckles71

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 05:49:17 PM »

Hi, I am also new to this site and have been told I am perimenopausal.   I am 43 year old.   I posted on the "Newbies" section yesterday as I am really struggling at the moment.   I don't fully understand what is going on with my body as my blood tests have come back showing no decrease in hormones.    I have terrible days where I am really emotional and I am so tired of never knowing if a bleed is around the corner.  So far I have had 3 bleeds in 1 month and I am mentally drained.   Along with holding down a full time job and dealing with a teenage son who constantly clashes with his dad is really not helping.   I feel that I am constantly wearing a mask so everyone thinks I am fine when all I want to do is scream, cry or just be on my own.   I am so grateful I found this site and can read and talk to others.

Curly

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »

Hi Freckles, I feel your pain!!
When I was first diagnosed with peri I was put on anti-depressants which made me a much happier, better person to live with but I hated the idea of a tablet controlling my moods so I slowly weaned my self off, as per the docs advice, but since then I'm having trouble controlling your moods, etc.  I've tried St. John's Wort and 5HTP which has helped but I feel they are not as good as the AD.
I've decided to take action and I'm booking an appointment to see my doctor, hopefully next week.  After reading lots of useful info in this site I've decided enough is enough (my husband funnily enough agrees)!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 08:26:15 PM »

:welcomemm:

Browse round. Make notes!

HRT can offer lots of protection for heart and bones.  As well as improving symptoms  ;)

My periods came, went, disappeared …….. several times in 2 years. Then went.