Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Feeling dreadful on Estraderm (Estradiol) and Utrogestan!  (Read 4173 times)

Fosse

Feeling dreadful on Estraderm (Estradiol) and Utrogestan!
« on: June 01, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »

Hi everyone,
I first posted back in January when I was having a terrible time with anxiety and struggling to cope at work. I insisted that my GP referred me to a Menopause clinic and finally met with a very understanding consultant a few weeks ago. Long story short he prescribed Estraderm (Estradiol) 50 and Utrogestan vaginally (I decided on taking it continuously to avoid a period so 100mg). I am 54 and haven't had a period for 1.5 years, have tried HRT pills and patches (sequi and conti) before.

To break myself in to try and minimise side effects I applied half a patch for a few days, then increased to three-quarters and took the Utrogestan on alternate nights. By Day 7 I was on the full 50mg patch. Gradually during the week, I have felt worse and worse. It's now Day 11. I know it is early days but how long should I carry on like this? Every day is bad headaches, constant trembling, dizziness, feeling ill. I haven't felt well enough go into work and yet again have had to ask to work from home. Even that is hard (brain fog).   :(

How do I work out what is causing these side effects?
- Is it too much progrestrone (even though I am only taking it every other day, 100mg, vaginally?)
- How do I know if I am progesterone intolerant?
- Is between 25 and 50 mg's estrogen too much or too little for me?
- It is because I keep varying between half and a full patch and not settled for more than a few days?
- Is it the ratio of prog / estrogen (I've assumed that since I was prescribed 50mg Estraderm / 100mg Utrogestan daily that 25mg / 100mg prog every other day would be ok?)
- Would Estradot instead of Estraderm make any difference?

I know everyone metabolises these hormones differently and know I have to persevere and carry on taking it because I need the oestrogen so much to prevent hot flushes / anxiety - but how long do I persevere? I really don't think I could manage 3 months. :'(

The really good news is that something has virtually stopped the dreadful anxiety (for now anyway!) :) :) :)

Thanks to every lady who has posted on MM - it is sooooo comforting to know I am not alone!

Fosse x

Tinkerbell

Re: Feeling dreadful on Estraderm (Estradiol) and Utrogestan!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »

I am on Estradot recently upped up from 50 to 75 I don't seem to get any side effects but several hours before my patch needs to be changed I do notice I get a jittery feeling.
I just couldn't tolerate progesterone even using vaginally, gave up after 8 days of very little sleep....it made me feel wired, nightmares and so hot and needing the loo in the night.
I am 53 and 14 months post meno.
My palpitations and headaches have stopped since starting Estradot and more so since the dose has been upped.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:13:48 PM by Tinkerbell »

Fosse

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:13:27 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell, thank you for replying. how are you getting progestrone? Is it in the Estradot?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »

Estradot is just oestrogen, I went with the Mirena in the end for the progesterone.
The only side effect I have had is the spotting but that seems to have stopped, keeping fingers crossed as I prefer the Mirena.