Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Slightly worried newbie  (Read 3249 times)

mamma1027

Slightly worried newbie
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »

Hello, my name is Deb. My menopause journey so far is as follows. I starting getting perimenopausal symptoms around five years ago, and then my periods stopped last May. Apart from some pretty awful hot flushes (I'm on clonidine for those which seem to be working - I can't have hrt as I have rheumatoid arthritis and also I don't do well with synthetic hormones) so all was going well until February this yearvwhen I had some spotting for a few days. Didn't think that much to it, but roughly two weeks later I had something that resembled a period which lasted for three days, then spotting on and off until 3rd April, since when I have been bleeding non-stop. I have seen my gp who, despite me not having gone a full 12 months without a period, has classed this as abnormal bleeding, so I am off to the hospital on May 24th to have a transvaginal uktrasound and hysteroscopy. Now, I know that one of the things they look for is a thickening of the endometrium, anything over 4mm being suspect. I had endometrial ablation 10/11 years ago so theoretically it should be 4mm or less anyway. I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience, and if so what the outcome was. Thanking you all in advance xx

Ju Ju

Re: Slightly worried newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »

:welcomemm:

I had a similar experience during my peri menopause journey. The doctor is doing his job to check that the bleed isn't caused by the thickening of the endometrium. It's a belt and braces job and hopefully, like me, all will be fine and if not, any problems will be caught early. Is your appointment soon? You will let us know I hope.

mamma1027

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »

My appointment is on 24th May, and yes, I'll let you know xx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »

Hi mamma1027 - I had the type of bleeding you describe. I went nine months between periods twice at one point. Most annoying having to start the counting again! My friend got to eleven months and five days before starting again. She wasn't sent for a scan though and had periods every three months for the next year. It varies so much between women. Good luck with the scan - let us know how it goes.

Can I just ask who has said you can't have HRT due to RA? I have a work colleague with this and has been on HRT for a year as she found her RA symptoms worsened as the menopause progressed and HRT has helped her quite a lot.  She had an enlightened GP who said that the WHI study which first of all queried the safety of HRT in RA women had been discredited and that recent research is that it can help ease the symptoms in women going through the menopause. Research is continuing into the role hormones play in RA.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

mamma1027

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:26:32 PM »

My gp,  and I'm quite happy not to have it.  I have never got on well with the pill or implants - progesterone giving me awful side effects, my mother had breast cancer that was oestrogen-hungry, and at the moment the clonidine is keeping the hot flushes and night sweats at bay so I'm quite content to leave that side of things as they as I am on so many other medications.  Having said that, I would definitely consider it if my symptoms became unbearable :)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 03:13:31 PM »

I agree that if it's working then why change it. It's handy to have options available and lots of us on here have been mislead by docs as to what we can and can't have. I'm sure that this isn't malicious misleading but just the GP not always been up to speed on all the changes which go on.

A friend of mine is on clonidine for her flushes at the minute and it's worked well for her flushes.

Taz x

mamma1027

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »

Hello, my name is Deb. My menopause journey so far is as follows. I starting getting perimenopausal symptoms around five years ago, and then my periods stopped last May. Apart from some pretty awful hot flushes (I'm on clonidine for those which seem to be working - I can't have hrt as I have rheumatoid arthritis and also I don't do well with synthetic hormones) so all was going well until February this yearvwhen I had some spotting for a few days. Didn't think that much to it, but roughly two weeks later I had something that resembled a period which lasted for three days, then spotting on and off until 3rd April, since when I have been bleeding non-stop. I have seen my gp who, despite me not having gone a full 12 months without a period, has classed this as abnormal bleeding, so I am off to the hospital on May 24th to have a transvaginal uktrasound and hysteroscopy. Now, I know that one of the things they look for is a thickening of the endometrium, anything over 4mm being suspect. I had endometrial ablation 10/11 years ago so theoretically it should be 4mm or less anyway. I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience, and if so what the outcome was. Thanking you all in advance xx

Just a brief update - I'm still bleeding (6 weeks today) and for the last week have had a dull, nagging and sometimes throbbing ache just above and to either side of my pubic bone. I also feel incredibly fatigued, but that could be my fibromyalgia or RA. Roll on the 24th :-\

mamma1027

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »

:-\Okay, so I have been to the one-stop hysteroscopy clinic today. Saw a lovely doctor who was very thorough. She took a detailed history, and said the pmb was probably due to an hormonal surge, but she would carry out a transvaginal scan, and if necessary do a flexible hysteroscopy and take a biopsy. As soon as she started the scan I could tell something wasn't quite right - she was concentrating on a certain part, and both her nurses stopped what they were doing and were looking intently at the screen. She sked me again when my last pap was done (2/3 months ago, normal) and said it looked like I could have a cervical polyp but there was also thickening of the womb. She then did the flexible hysteroscopy which showed a very 'polypy' cavity. She managed to get a biopsy (OUCH :'() which she said was difficult as I had ablation done 11 years ago. I now have to go back to have a proper hysteroscopy and d&c done under general anaesthetic. Wish me luck xx

Elizabethrose

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »

Hello Deb

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I'm in a very similar position, awaiting results on an endometrial biopsy after a hysteroscopy under GA.

The procedure will be so much more comfortable for you under GA and it will also give them greater ease to 'check things out' more thoroughly. They couldn't get through my cervix because of scar tissue when they first tried the hysteroscopy without anaesthetic so had to dilate the cervix thoroughly when they tried again under GA. Apart from the general wooziness after GA and some pain on first waking (which they medicated me for) there was little pain after.

Obviously you're worried, as am I, but it's better that this is being investigated so any problems can be dealt with. It's very easy to read things into the way radiologists study the screens, everyone does this I'm sure! It could well be that she was simply being as thorough as she possibly could be.

I send you all good wishes and wish you well x

mamma1027

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 05:44:34 PM »

Aw, thank you Elizabethrose, I wish you all the best too. I've had so many gynae procedures in the past I had hoped that I was all done and dusted with that aspect of my life. I'm quite philisophical about it all - it will be what it will be, and I will be treated one way or another (I'd be more than happy to have a hysterectomy tbh :))

Take good care of yourself xxxxx

mamma1027

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »

Hello Deb

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I'm in a very similar position, awaiting results on an endometrial biopsy after a hysteroscopy under GA.

The procedure will be so much more comfortable for you under GA and it will also give them greater ease to 'check things out' more thoroughly. They couldn't get through my cervix because of scar tissue when they first tried the hysteroscopy without anaesthetic so had to dilate the cervix thoroughly when they tried again under GA. Apart from the general wooziness after GA and some pain on first waking (which they medicated me for) there was little pain after.

Obviously you're worried, as am I, but it's better that this is being investigated so any problems can be dealt with. It's very easy to read things into the way radiologists study the screens, everyone does this I'm sure! It could well be that she was simply being as thorough as she possibly could be.

I send you all good wishes and wish you well x

Hace you had your results back yet Elizabethrose? I had my initial biopsy results which showed no abnormalities in a minimal sample. I had my hysteroscopy/d&c/polypectomy on Thursday. They removed a large polyp. I asked if that was all and was told that the d&c removed 'bitty' looking tissue (this was said in a vague way). I was still too dooey to ask what they meant by bitty. Anyway, I have to wait another 2-3 weeks for the pathology results. It all seems so longwinded.

I hope you are well. Take care xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 07:09:46 PM »

Thanks for the update mamma1027 - glad to  hear all is OK so far and hopefully the pathology results will also show this.

Hurdity x :)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 07:24:37 PM »

Hello Deb

I'm pleased all went ok for you. Why oh why do they try to engage with you when you've just come round from the anaesthetic? The consultant did the same with me and though normally really switched on I was still 'out' dancing with the fairies!

Glad your initial biopsy was ok, hopefully the 'bitty' looking tissue will prove to be absolutely fine too. Try not to be too anxious, as we said previously, we'll just deal with as necessary!!

I still haven't heard, 6 wks Friday, outrageous!!

I really wish you well, stay busy, distract yourself (good book, Hotel Chocolate ;))

With all good wishes to you.

x