Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Flushes worse after starting hrt  (Read 2101 times)

bonkersblonde

Flushes worse after starting hrt
« on: May 25, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »

Hi ladies

I had a blo last October followed by full hysterectomy (inc cervix) in Feb because of suspect cysts then suspect gland enlargement and severe endo. I went on a combined hrt on October which stopped all flushes, dryness etc but had to come off late December to allow endo to die down pre surgery.

I was on a low dose amitriptyline and given oestrogen only patches which I started on Sunday.
The ad helped a bit with flushes but I was still getting them every 90 mins or so, manageable in the day, more severe at night. Trouble is, since yesterday I've noticed my flushes are much worse, on average every 40 mins or so and awful at night, waking me up etc.

Any advice? I am still taking the ad but only have about 5 days left, I assumed the hrt would kick in about day 3 like it did last time and I'd stop the ad then. I'm going to stop the amitriptyline now and see if that helps, but I'm worse off than before I started!

I'd appreciate any advice! Oh, I'm 49 btw.

Hurdity

Re: Flushes worse after starting hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:38 PM »

Hi bonkersblonde

:welcomemm:

Not sure what a "blo" is  :-\ - but where were you in menopause before you started the HRT (re cycles and periods) and do you still have your ovaries? If not then you may well need a higher dose of oestrogen eventually but they should start to work fairly soon. It's always best to start slowly and build up gradually to minimise side effects. I remember the flushes gradually getting less over the weeks and then noticed that I wasn't having them any more :). Hopefully this will be the same for you. I'm not sure how taking and AD as well as oestrogen affects flushes? I know some ADs are prescribed for this purpose for women who cannot take HRT.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hurdity x

bonkersblonde

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the reply! A blo is a bi-lateral oopherectomy, removal of ovaries, so no, I didn't have them before hrt, went into immediate surgical menopause.

I'm just worried as I took combined hrt after that and it started working within days, this time the patch has doubled (at least!) the flushes, about 3 an hour. I've logged them today and have had at least 16 since 9.30 this morning, one when I was swimming!

It's just much worse than before Sunday when I started the patches, just wondered if anyone had had the same effect?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »

bonkersblonde - 3 days of oestrogen isn't enough to keep flushes etc under control.   I expect your oestrogen levels have been dropping since your hyster and despite the ADs the oestrogen level will take 4-8 weeks to really build and control the flushes etc.  As Hurdity rightly asks, what dose of oestrogen are you using?
I bet the oestrogen will start to work in about 2 weeks and you will then experience a gradual improvement over the next 4-6 weeks. Be patient, it will get better.  DG x

bonkersblonde

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:48:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm on a low dose, the patches are supposed to deliver 40 micrograms per day. I was just concerned as at the moment, I'm getting flushes about every half an hour. It's driving me mad as they were down to one every 90 minutes or so but more at night, which was why I went on hrt this time.

Thanks for the reassurance, it just worked so much faster last time, but that was only 2 weeks or so after removal of ovaries, so you're probably right about low oestrogen levels. Just gutting to be worst before it (hopefully!!!!) gets better.

bonkersblonde

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »

Also I really wanted flushes to be a bit better before I go back to work, I work in a school and kids take no prisoners when the teacher's a bit low! Especially secondary kids.....ah well, I have a couple of weeks still, so fingers crossed for an improvement.

My poor husband will be pleased too as I can't stand him too near me, he gives off heat like a boiler at night which is normally fine, but I'm producing enough heat to power several small villages, no extra required!

kew

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »

When I started my patches, for the first week I had an increase of flushes, a couple each hour.  After a week they stopped altogether so think you need to give it a bit longer.  Three months on no flushes at all and the occasional night sweat.

peegeetip

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »

sounds like your not getting as much hormones from the patch compared to the earlier tablets.

some of us dont tolerate patches and they dont work as well with some.

in terms of how you take estrogen there is no difference if you take tablet or patch given your situation after the op.

you could either give it more time or go back and ask for same amount of estrogen your combi option had.

short term you could try putting on two patches and see if the increased estrogen curbs your sweats and flushing.
this only raises you to what you'd get on the higher dose (not the highest).
remember also that the earlier studies hid the fact that those ladies on estrogen only hrt had less problems than those not taking estrogen.

if it does then you have you answer. if not then try tablet for again to see if its just a absorbtion issue.

hope that helps you

:-*

bonkersblonde

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »

Brilliant, thank you. It's a little better today, not so many this morning (although I was doing a small piece of work so distracted rather) and they seem less intense, but still as frequent this afternoon. I think I'll see what they're like by Sunday which is changeover day and maybe try two patches as you suggest peegeetip.

Nice to know I'm not alone kew, as I'm sure you all appreciate, the body that worked fine now doesn't and it's so debilitating to not know what's going to happen when!

Fingers crossed for improvements soon!

On the plus side, I don't feel like crying or killing everyone all the time, so that's definitely better'