Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Knee replacement  (Read 2261 times)

Noodle

Knee replacement
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:31:05 AM »

Hiya.  Anyone got any stories to share with me about partial or total knee replacements please?

History - smashed right knee up in a motorbike accident in 2003.  It didn't heal correctly and I was unable to bend it until an operation in 2004.  After that, fine for about 10 years.  In 2015 it started giving me horrible "can't walk" pain.  July 2015 had a micro fracture op where they drill  your bone to create inferior cartilage (I had a bald bone patch).

Anyhoo.......  not got properly better from that.  Still very disabled compared to others.  Been to see consultant today and he says only viable intervention is partial or full knee replacement.  Then went on to give me lots of dire warnings about having this done - young (I'm 54, ) need to have to do it once or twice again in my future life, may still feel pain etc etc. He's sent me away to research and think about it for 2 weeks

I can think of 3 people I know who've had it.  2 say it's the best thing they've ever done  and 1 is on his third version cos the other two didn't take.

What do you ladies think?  What have you experienced or heard from those close by you?  (I don't suffer Health Anxiety, so feel free to tell it how it is or how you've had it reported to you.)

Noodle x

Ju Ju

Re: Knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 04:47:50 AM »

All ops bring risk, but is there a choice here? Quality of life improved? My sons MIL had both hips replaced last year and this year it's time for her knees. As far I know life has greatly improved for her. She has had years of suffering and gradual disablement. I shall be seeing her in a couple of weeks and find out how things are, if that's any help. I was given dire warnings about opting for having a hysterectomy and repair done, but don't regret going for it even though things have not been plain sailing.

ellie

Re: Knee replacement
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »

Don't really like doing this, but you asked for all points of view.....I had a total knee replacement seven years ago, and it should have been followed by the other knee three months later......The surgeon managed to damage the nerves and soft tissue surrounding my knee, and I have  been in worse pain ever since, and needless to say I am too afraid to have the second knee done.......
      I have a good friend who had hers done shortly after me and she has had no trouble at all....My DH had a hip replacment four years ago and it has been wonderful for him....
 So any operation can go wrong, but on the other hand it can go smoothly and change your life...