Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BCG Jab  (Read 8681 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
BCG Jab
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »

Does anyone remember having this?  I was 13 …… can't remember what for though  :-\

kew

Re: BCG Jab
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 09:42:10 PM »

I remember having it - was it for Measles?

breeze

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »

BCG was for TB.  I don't think they do it now.

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »

I'm sure it was for TB. Blooming hurt too  :o

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:57:55 PM »

It's for TB. I had it at 18 months as uncle had shadow on lung and then again at 13 at school. It's only routinely offered now to children in high risk areas and communities. Also I think those embarking on certain careers such as nursing, doctors and I imagine vets are innoculated.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 11:42:32 PM »

Yes it was for TB. The new guidelines are here as to who should have it and why teenagers are not routinely inoculated http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/bcg-tb-vaccine-questions-answers.aspx  I paid privately for two of my sons to have it though.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 02:53:44 AM »

I remember you were tested first for whether you had antibodies, which I did, so didn't have the injection.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »

I had to get test redone around age 16 as lad in one of my classes contracted TB. I was fine as was he.

Scampi

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »

Having seen a BCG given during my days as a student nurse, I'm not surprised it hurt  :o 

I remember so well the weeks (months!!) of having to have my nightie bathed off my arm every morning where my BCG site had wept horrible gunge during the night and got stuck.  Gave up with the 'keep it dry' mantra when on holiday in the August (having had the jab in the May/June!) and got in the swimming pool ... it had healed fully within a week after that!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »

I remember the small dot of rings that was put onto the inner arm.  I don't remember why I needed the jab though other than it was related to TB.  I don't remember it hurting but I do remember several friends fainted  :o

Next question: 3 days B4 I get a cold the area where the jab went in itches like FURY  >:(

Scampi

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »

BCG immunisation for TB was routine up until 2005.  The 'ring of dots' (often called the 'six needles) is called the Heaf test, and it's very similar to skin sensitively tests for allergies.  The six needles introduce a tiny amount of the TB antigen into the skin and the site is examined a week later to assess the reaction - if you are already immune to TB the site will show marked inflammation, if you're not it will hardly react at all (in some cases it's hard to find the test site).  My Heaf test at school reacted well - so well that the doctor was 50/50 whether to give me the jab - reading up on BCG now, it seems giving the jab to 'strong reactors' often leads to inflammation and scarring at the injection site ... explains a lot!!  When I was tested again when I started nursing, and I had a VERY definite reaction - I still have a scar from those six needles!

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »

I must of had a strong reaction then. In the 80s we were in close contact with my uncle who had a reoccurance of TB and all had chest X-rays. My children had to have the injections in the 90s.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »

One of mine had it routinely at the age of 13 in 1994 but I paid for the other two to have it done as it had been discontinued by then (1998 and 2001)

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 01:23:31 PM »

My daughter had it done just after birth, a fact which I forgot & she got it again at 13.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »

Thirteen year olds are protected for fifteen years. It's never given to adults as it isn't effective. I didn't know that! From NetDoctor:

"The BCG test is thought to be about 80 per cent effective and when given to children around the age of 13 years the immunity lasts around 15 years. Normally a reaction occurs at the site of immunisation and this can vary from quite mild swelling over a very small area to a large area of inflammation and ulceration"

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2