Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Stinging from new washing powder  (Read 2284 times)

Midnight Shadow

Stinging from new washing powder
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »

Hello everyone, haven't been on here for ages, because since starting low dose Kliovance and using Vagifem twice a week my Vaginal Atrophy has been really non existent. I have however changed my washing powder and really wish I hadn't. It smells slightly fragranced.
 I am now beginning to sting down below, think it might be related to this new washing powder. Has anyone else experienced this?  Certainly won't use it again. My neighbour recommended it as she suffers very badly with eczema (don't think I have spelt that right sorry) . Hope you are all feeling better. Replies appreciated.

Joyce

Re: Stinging from new washing powder
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:43:10 AM »

I've had to stick to supermarket brands for my laundry. Big makes cause my hubby to break out. Never had problems myself with washing powder or gel. But Tena liners don't agree with me. Hope your discomfort clears soon.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:43:28 PM »

I never use biological washing powders or anything fragranced - for sheets I occasionally use a bit of fabric softener that is for sensitive skins. I usually wear an unscented thin pantyliner each day as this helps absorb any sweat (I am more sweaty down there these days, even with HRT) and also to prevent any bacteria or products from having contact with my ‘lady bits'.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »

DG - does that work for you  :-\?

My cousin reacts badly to several commercial powders  ::). There was a time if she visited with us she travelled with her own sheets. 

Have you put a layer of Vaseline/Savlon on the parts that are sore? Maybe up the application of VA treatment for 3-4 nights?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »

Never been able to use vasoline/savlon/sudacrem - they all make me burn or itch.  Sylk is fine and Multi Gyn Actigel. My skin itches with any biological washing products but it seems to be OK with that gentle Fairy Softener when washing the sheets - I wouldn't use this for towels though. We all have to find what works for us.  DG x

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:59:01 PM »

Can I just say that since starting my Meno journey, I only ever shower with Moo Goo milk wash. No chemical nasties or harsh soaps so you can happily wash away down below without drying out your bits and it really helps with skin dryness in general.

I stick to Fairy detergent and softener, it seems to be the best. I tried Surcare and it was pretty awful! It left all my clothes and linens really stiff. No one wants to wear pants that are like corrugated cardboard! I had a friend who tried Ecover, and she reacted badly to it. It was the essential oils. They can actually be a strong sensitiser. Just because it's natural, it doesn't always mean that it's safer and gentler for everyone. :o

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »

Oh, and for soothing and general lubrication, I can't recommend the 'Yes' products enough. My surgeon recommended them above all else. They are natural, but don't have any known sensitisers in the ingredients (so definitely no mineral oil)!