Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does it ever get better??  (Read 5454 times)

warwick01

Does it ever get better??
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:47:24 PM »

Hi

Just sat here thinking about this horrid time in my life. At 57 post meno, still tweaking hrt to find a no bleed solution.

Wondering if anyone out there has suffered extreme symptoms which include anxiety and come out the other end?? For me its been 7 years but the last 2 years have been worse esp anxiety. I can't take SSIR Ad and GP refused to give me diazepam so it's been a struggle to say the least.

I'm looking for some reassurance that in post meno thing stabilise?? or is it the case that if you stay on HRT it will always be waiting in the wings to reappear??

Sorry...... low mood today  :(

Wx

babyjane

Re: Does it ever get better??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »

I can only share my own experience and yes, for me it has started to ease this year.  I am now 59, had a hysterectomy with retained ovaries when I was 38 so never knew where I was as regards hormone levels.  The absence of bleeding made things manageable and I had my first hot flush/night sweat 7 years ago.

I have never gone down the HRT route and there were times I felt nothing would ever be right again.  This past 6 months the flushes are milder and coming less often.  I also suffer with anxiety but that is getting into perspective with just a ridiculously low dose of both AD and beta blocker plus some therapy to underpin me.  As a result I am starting to almost look forward to my 60s which start next year.

I am glad I did not need to go down the HRT route as it doesn't sound like a cure all and there still seem to be hormonal fluctuations and difficulties at times even with it.  However if I had been bleeding a lot things might have been different.

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:33:53 PM »

Thanks for your reply Babyjane :)

It's one of those days today where I feel really down in the dumps. This week I have suffered urine infection, burning VA and episodes of really bad indigestion with tummy upset. These symptoms I had prior to HRT. As I have been tweaking my HRT I feel a drop in estrogeon because anxiety is pretty bad along with adrenalin surges through out the day. Not left the house all day >:(

Your post is reassuring, I just need to know one day this will get better.

Well 'tomorrow is another day'

Wxx

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »

It might not be very reassuring when you are going through the worst of it, to hear someone say 'I find it does get better' but out of all the elderly ladies I know, and I know quite a few, none of them still have any of their menopause issues and symptoms.  I hold onto that thought  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:48:18 PM »

If you still have VA and getting recurrent urine infections then surely you need some local oestrogen? Are you still having any of this? Are the digestive upsets new for you? I seem to remember you take tablet HRT now? This can cause digestive upsets and can also affect the absorption of your HRT as well. I know you have had several changes and I am so sorry to hear that even in post-menopause you still have not settled onto a regime that works for you.

Has there been a time during the past 7 years when you have felt good and can you remember what you were taking at the time - if you have kept a diary? Do you know when you became post-menopausal or did you start taking HRT during peri-menopause?

I can understand your frustration - but as you say tomorrow is another day and hope you feel better then! :)

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »

warwick01, what type of HRT are you taking?  I am wondering if you are perhaps on the wrong type or the wrong dose of oestrogen?  That would explain why you are still having symptoms.

warwick01

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 02:58:40 AM »

Thanks Ladies.

Hurdity - this time 2 years ago I was feeling well on3/4 pumps of oestrogel with 7 day northisterone (don't get on with utrogesterone) each month. A cyst was found on my left ovary so refured to a lady gyne on NHS.

She told me to avoid surgery for cyst at 6cm as it had stayed that size for 2 years causing no symptoms. However she seemed more concerned I was on too high a dose of oestrogel as post menopause (bloods 268 pml estragon) she told me and also my GP I should be taking a low dose combined pill such as Kliovance.

I must admit she seemed very old fashioned in her approach to menopause and never heard of using separate gel /progesterone. For the last 18 months I have been trying various combined HRT, unfortunately can't seem to find one that suits me.

I am sure using this Livial for the last month has caused all the above symptoms as to me it proves I need estragon. To be honest I feel like giving up HRT........ but I know I need it to function.

Thinking of going back to my gel and sod it ;D

Wxx

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 08:28:59 AM »

Do you actually have to do everything the doctor says, to the letter or is there room for compromise and working together to find the best thing for the individual patient.

Surely the patient knows their own body best and knows how they feel and what works/doesn't work.

My GP and also my consultant both work with me, it is like a partnership, and they are open to what I tell them.  Therefore I am more likely to listen and consider what they tell me.  They don't dictate and genuinely have my best interests at heart.