Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Totally fed up  (Read 2148 times)

ellie

Totally fed up
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »

Without going into great detail, last year I had a second major back operation to try and ease the cronic pain  that I suffer in by back, down my legs and right foot. The foot pain is nerve pain  coming from my spine..I cannot begin to tell you the amount of pain I am in........
      I have been offered the chance of having a Spinal Cord Stimulator  fitted.   It is very involved and not without risks, and not guaranteed to work.
     I have had a failed knee replacement, and two failed back surgeries, and because of this, I am too afraid to say yes to the SCS......I am now stuck with the prospect of a life of constant severe pain, and yes....totally fed up. How do I get my head round this ladies?
  Sorry for moaning  :-\

booboo

Re: Totally fed up
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »

Hi ellie

No need to apologise & think you have every reason & are perfectly entitled  to feel " fed up" ...Chronic pain is no joke and you sound as if you have been thru the mill with your failed surgeries .. Its a difficult decision to make re the SCS & weigh it all up - I wish I could offer you some advice.. Just want to send you a hug

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »

Same as booboo I can't offer you any advice just want to send you a hug :bighug:

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »

Hi ellie, when I was struggling with chronic illness I was referred to the chronic illness psychologist at the hospital and I had a series of sessions to help with acceptance and adjustment to the change in my situation that it had brought about.  It was very helpful and different from general CBT or counselling because it concentrated on dealing with chronic illness. I don't know if the service is available nationwide or whether I was just lucky.  you could make some enquiries.

ellie

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:17:53 PM »

Hi babyjane, yes it has been offered to me. The problem is, it's a course that lasts several weeks and you have to go all day four times a week. .its  over 20 miles from where we live, and would mean my hubby traveling a lot.....We have discussed it, and had it been nearer I would have gone.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 03:29:06 PM »

:bighug:  every time I get a twinge down my sciatic nerve I think of you  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 04:24:32 PM »

Hi babyjane, yes it has been offered to me. The problem is, it's a course that lasts several weeks and you have to go all day four times a week.

oh my goodness gracious me what a shame.  I would not have been able to do that  :o.  that sounds very demanding for people who are not too well.  My course was one hour a week for 6 weeks then I was referred on to the general psychological services once a fortnight for another 8 weeks.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 08:07:55 PM »

Hugs from me. I have been housebound for past 3 weeks with severe back and leg nerve pain and cannot stand or walk for more than a minute without it being agony.
I imagine you have already tried all the medications like gabapentin/pregablin etc before you had your back surgeries.
Was the course a pain management course- they tend to be every day for a few weeks, the nearest one to me is about 100 miles away with a 2 year waiting list!
Have you come across a forum called Pain Support, there are lots of people on there who had has SCS fitted and loads of people with severe chronic pain.